One-pan dinners and casserole meals are one of my favorite parts of following the Keto diet plan. This Cheesy Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole with Broccoli is total comfort food. Not only is it full of delicious flavors, but it is super easy to throw together!
This recipe has been updated with more helpful tips in February 2020.
Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole (with Broccoli)
This simple one-pan meal is a family favorite! When I made this for the first time, my husband said he could eat the entire pan; it was so good. The fact that it is easy to throw together, low carb and keto make this skillet dinner too good to pass up! This recipe is made without mayo or canned condensed soup. Instead, to get the rich flavor and creaminess, I use cream cheese, cream, and butter! It is SO delicious!
How To Make Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole Using A Skillet
Skillet meals are the best! Especially if you use a cast-iron skillet. This cheesy chicken dinner is high in fat and low in carbs, so it is exactly what you want out of a keto dinner. It is easy to make in a skillet and can even be made a day or two ahead of time and popped in the oven to bake at the last minute. Don’t have a cast-iron skillet? You can use any oven-safe skillet or a casserole dish instead.
The full recipe with detailed instructions and measurements is at the bottom of this post in the recipe card; however, don’t miss the helpful tips and process pictures below.
Step 1: The first thing you want to do is prepare your chicken. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can also use boneless or bone-in chicken thighs if you prefer. Cooking-wise, you have several options.
Option 1: Cook your chicken in a slow cooker for a few hours until cooked through and tender.
Option 2: Boil the chicken on the stove until it is cooked through and tender.
Option 3: Put your Instant Pot to work if you are in a hurry to cook the chicken.
Option 4: Purchase a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Then shred your chicken removing bones if necessary.
Step 2: Add butter, ranch seasoning, cream cheese, whipping cream, chicken broth, bacon and cheese
Step 3: Whisk together and simmer on low until thick and creamy.
Step 4: Add steamed broccoli and shredded chicken to your skillet or casserole dish and stir to combine all ingredients. Top with the rest of the shredded cheese and more bacon crumbles.
Step 5: Bake the casserole for about 20-25 minutes. Then finish by broiling the surface until the cheese and bacon is golden brown. Serve hot!
Chicken Casserole Variations
You can easily change this recipe up to make it your own. Here are some simple variations to the recipe:
- Feel free to use any cheese you have on hand or like! Cheddar is my favorite cheese for this recipe, but Monterey, Parmesan, Gouda, Gruyere, Mozzarella, or even a mixture of cheeses would work!
- If you don’t have broccoli or someone doesn’t like it, you can easily switch out the broccoli for another keto-friendly vegetable. Try brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, green beans, or cauliflower!
- You can use a homemade ranch mix instead that is more keto-friendly and without additives. Here is an excellent homemade ranch mix.
- You can add a crunchy topping by using keto bread to make breadcrumbs, mixed with butter, then sprinkled over top or keto cracker crisps crumbled on top.
- You can add mushrooms and/or riced cauliflower to the casserole. If you aren’t eating low carb or keto, rice will work as well.
Tips For Making This Recipe Quicker
- Use a store-bought pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, so you don’t have to cook the chicken yourself. It will save you a few hours!
- Use steamed bags of broccoli (or another veggie), so you can quickly steam them in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Cook everything in an oven-safe skillet from start to finish so you won’t have to spend time cleaning dishes or transferring food.
- Use precooked real bacon! You can buy the large bags at Costco like I do or, for meal prep, cook 1-2 pounds of bacon ahead of time and store in the fridge or freezer. This will save you another 10-15 minutes!
- Use a store-bought ranch packet for convenience. They do have some additives, but it does help save you time. If you want to make your own mix, check out the link in the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
How To Make This Dinner Ahead of Time
This is another great make-ahead meal I like to make the day before or the morning of. To prepare this in advance, assemble the casserole in a casserole dish or skillet, as stated in directions below. Then, before you bake, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate. Bake the casserole within 1-2 days. Just keep in mind that your baking time may need to increase a bit since all the ingredients will be colder.
How To Freeze Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
Prepare the Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole, as stated in the directions below. Before baking, transfer everything to a freezer-safe dish and cover with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge and bake the next day. Baking time may be a little longer since the casserole will be colder or slightly frozen.
Don’t have an oven-safe cast iron skillet? Amazon has great prices, and they deliver to your door, which is a requirement of mine with four kids. They are incredibly long-lasting and affordable. I love that they go from stove to oven for recipes like this.
More Keto Casserole Recipes:
If you are like me and love variety, then you’ll love all of the great recipes I have added to my Keto Recipe Index. Search this index for amazing easy to create keto and low carb friendly meals that your whole family will love. Linked below are a few of our personal favorites!
- Best Keto Taco Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Caesar Keto Casserole
- Easy Low Carb Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cheesy Ground Beef & Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Keto Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli Bake
More Low Carb Chicken Casserole Recipes:
- Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- BBQ Keto Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Quick & Easy Low Carb Chili Casserole
- Keto Chicken Casserole
Looking for more than low carb chicken casserole recipes? This list of 20 Easy Keto Casserole recipes has a large variety.
Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole (with Broccoli)
Cheesy Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole with Broccoli
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (3 small chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tbsp pack ranch seasoning mix
- OR homemade ranch mix (make your own instead)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup fresh broccoli (or a 10.8oz steam bag)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
For the Topping
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- Prepare your chicken first by either cooking it in a slow cooker on high for 3 hrs or low for 6 hours with a little chicken broth and salt/pepper. Remove from slow cooker and shred. (If using a rotisserie chicken, shred that.)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In an oven-safe skillet or cast iron pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Next, add ranch seasoning, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, 1/4 cup crumbled bacon, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Use a whisk to combine ingredients and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- If using a steam bag of broccoli follow directions on the bag to steam. Otherwise, steam fresh broccoli in the microwave until it reaches desired tenderness while the ranch mixture is simmering.
- Add shredded chicken and steamed broccoli to ranch mixture and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle 2 cups cheese and 1/2 cup crumbled bacon on top.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese is melted then move to the top rack.
- Broil for 1-3 minutes until cheese is bubbly and bacon is browned.
To make this ahead of time, assemble in a casserole dish (or skillet) as stated in directions above. Then, before you bake, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate. When ready, bake the casserole at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. (Must bake within 1-2 days.) How To Freeze Your Casserole Prepare the casserole as stated in the directions below. Before baking, transfer everything to a freezer-safe dish and cover with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge and bake the next day. Baking time may be a little longer since the casserole may be colder or slightly frozen.