Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole
This Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole will become a new household favorite! It has all the components of a sandwich minus the bread, making it the perfect keto/low-carb meal! It’s delicious, easy, and simple to make! This is the perfect keto casserole!
Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole:
Sandwiches are such an easy meal! They are entirely customizable, filling, and perfect for on-the-go lunches. So, I decided to make a keto unwich recipe! The unwich contains all the ingredients you love in a sandwich minus the bread!
This recipe is easy and perfect for a quick lunch or weeknight meal; you can use whatever deli meat, cheese, and toppings you would like!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- smoked deli ham- Make sure not to get honey ham or brown sugar ham since it will add carbs. If you do not like ham, feel free to use turkey, sliced chicken, or your favorite keto deli meat.
- Swiss cheese- For this recipe, I prefer to use swiss cheese because of its flavor; however, you can use whatever type of cheese you like.
- Dill pickles- I love pickles on my sandwich and use slices or chopped pickles depending on what I have on hand.
- Italian seasoning, Italian dressing- Adds tons of extra flavor to this unwich recipe.
Steps for making Keto Hot “Unwich” & Cheese Casserole:
Step 1: Spray a 9×9 pan with pam so that the casserole does not stick, and lay down your first layer of ham. It should be about 4 total ham slices.
Step 2: Add 4 pieces of swiss cheese to the top of the ham.
Step 3: Add either dill pickle slices or chips with some Italian dressing and seasoning for extra flavor. Next, add another layer of ham and cheese.
Step 4: Pop the unwich in a 375-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned on the top. Enjoy!
How to Make a Spicy Unwich:
You could add some hot sauce to the keto ham and swiss casserole; however, make sure that it is low carb before adding. You could also use spicy pickles instead of regular pickles, and pepper jack cheese to kick the heat up a notch.
Variations to the Unwich:
This is such an easy casserole to make your own; here are some of my favorite variations you could try!
- Try different meat such as roast beef, salami, or turkey!
- Use different cheese; not everyone likes swiss, so you could use provolone cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, or whatever you prefer!
- Create lettuce wraps by slicing a piece of the unwich and putting it in romaine lettuce hearts! This variation adds a little bit of crunch and texture to the dish. This is similar to jimmy john’s style of unwich.
- You could also try adding different keto sauces such as hot sauce, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, or even mayo.
How to Store Leftover Unwich?
To store, place the leftover pieces in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, simply put in the microwave for 30 seconds, then the oven or air fryer for just a few minutes to crisp up the ham and cheese.
Can You Meal Prep this Keto Unwich?
Yes, you absolutely can! To meal prep, follow all the recipe card instructions, but do not bake the keto ham and swiss casserole until you are ready. This recipe can stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days.
While this is an easy meal prep recipe, I do not recommend freezing as it will thaw with a different texture because of the dressing and moisture of the deli meat.
More Keto Sandwich Recipes:
- Easy Keto Sandwich Bowl
- French Dip Chaffle Sandwich
- Keto Sloppy Joe Skillet Recipe
- Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
More Keto Casseroles:
- Keto Pizza Casserole
- Keto Italian Meatball Casserole
- Healthy Keto Tune Casserole
- Keto Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Hot "Unwich" Ham and Cheese Casserole
- 8 slices smoked deli ham
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 5 slices dill pickle
- 1-2 tbsp Italian dressing
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and spray a 9x9 pan with pam.
- Lay down a layer of deli ham, aprox. 4 slices, followed by a layer of cheese.
- Add the dill pickle slices, dressing, and seasoning to the top of the cheese.
- Place another layer of ham and cheese down.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
What are the macros for this recipe? How many carbs/fats/proteins?
I did not include the nutritional info as it will depend on how each person makes it and the ingredients they use.
I ran the macros based on 4 servings, and they are 3 g. carbs, 2 g. net carbs, 24 g. fat, 22 g. protein, and 315 calories. This is very filling so it is conceivable to get 6 servings from this dish. Don’t skip or skimp on the dill pickles. They make the dish pop.
I’m VERY new to Keto. How do you “run the macros” on a recipe?
I was skeptical at first about this recipe: Italian dressing on ham and cheese? So glad we gave it a try… It was incredibly delicious! That’s two recipes so far…the first one was the queso soup; THAT was fabulous! You have new followers…resistance is futile!
Just found your site thru addicted to saving. Tried this recipe and loved it!
Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it!
Is there just one layer of ham (on the bottom)? Is it cheese pickles and another cheese or is there or ham in ther?
There is two layers of ham.
Thanks for that question Teri or I would’ve only done 1 layer of ham as the instructions do not mention another. Looks really good!
Do you think you could use a Keto Fathead dough as a base?
It’s worth a try! 🙂
About how much Italian Dressing and Seasoning did you use? I don’t want to drown it lol
I didn’t measure it. I would say I didn’t use a lot of the Italian dressing. The good thing is that you can always add more when it’s done if you don’t feel like you’ve added enough.
How many servings does this make
It depends on how you cut the casserole. I did not include serving size or nutritional info because it will depend on the exact ingredients you use.
I’m going to be starting Keto soon and I’m doing a lot of research and prepping right now. You’d use like just regular Italian Dressing, right? Not low-fat or low-cal or anything.
Yep just the regular.
Your recipes are all amazing! They have been my “go to” for low carb food and I’m so impressed! This recipe and the Queso soup are my absolute favs! Can’t wait to try more. Thank you for sharing all this yumminess with the world! 🙂
I’m so glad you have loved my recipes. Thanks so much for your kind words of support!
What is the purpose of the dressing? To make the unwich moist or wet?
I enjoy the flavor that it adds, but feel free to omit if it’s not for you.
Kasey, Did you use the liquid Italian dressing?
Yes, I did.
Is there a printable version somewhere?
Hey Polly, there is a print button at the top of every recipe card.
I must be missing it but I don’t see it.
Hey Polly, I just realized this recipe does not have a recipe card. Sorry! You can always do a print screen or copy and paste.
Do you use packaged deli ham or the kind you actually get from the deli?
I get it from the deli.
Is this 4 servings?
I do not have a recipe card for this recipe yet. So, the number of servings would depend on the size of your servings.