Easy Keto Sandwich Bowl is an alternative to a sub sandwich for those following a low-carb lifestyle. This keto recipe is customizable to the lunch meats, vegetables, and dressing you prefer. Having little net carbs, this is a perfect lunch or dinner for you whether meal planning for the week or you need something quick and easy.
Ham & Cheese Keto Sandwich Bowl: Perfect Easy Lunch Solution
One day when I was out and about, I ran to pick up my big kids’ lunch at their favorite sub shop. Since I had not planned lunch that day, I thought a sandwich in a bowl would make a fantastic keto lunch. I’m sure the young girl ringing me up that day thought I was crazy asking for no bread on my sandwich and for all the ingredients to be thrown in a bowl, but this Keto sandwich recipe in a bowl was exactly what I wanted.
Many sub-shops have salads, but I didn’t want a salad with deli meat and cheese added. A salad in a bowl with the same fundamental ratios was the perfect solution. I thought this would be a new keto recipe to make at home for a low-carb sandwich with no bread.
- Smoked deli ham is the main protein for this low-carb sandwich without bread. Use smoked or black forest ham as maple and honey varieties contain added sugars.
- Provolone cheese – Any of your favorite cheese varieties work for this recipe.
- Lettuce, Cucumbers, Pickles, Banana peppers, Orange bell pepper, and Cherry tomatoes – My favorite toppings for a sandwich, and they are fresh, healthy, and delicious.
- Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Italian Seasonings – Together, these make a delicious Italian topping to your sandwich in a bowl.
- Parmesan Cheese – This ingredient is optional. It adds a punch of flavor to the sandwich in a bowl.
What is a Sandwich Bowl?
A keto bowl is your favorite sandwich toppings that have been chopped, placed in a bowl, and coated with a delicious high fat / low carb dressing. Compared to a salad with the primary ingredient of lettuce and then toppings added. This is, in fact, a sandwich in a bowl as the sandwich ingredients are the stars of the show, with the lettuce taking a step back in a supporting role.
Variations of Keto Sandwich Bowl:
This recipe is amazing because it’s customizable to your favorite sandwich ingredients. If you don’t like deli ham, there are many other options available. I’ve included several different ideas below to make this your own.
- Swap out the Cheese or Combine Varieties – You can use any cheese you prefer, such as gouda, mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, swiss cheese, etc.
- Change the protein – If you don’t like ham, use turkey, pepperoni, roast beef, bacon, salami, or another favorite deli meat. You can also combine more than one variety.
- Change up the Veggies – Add different veggies like fresh mushrooms, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, onions, zucchini, olives, jalapenos, and/or avocados.
- Oil/Vinegar – This can be subbed for a different dressing such as ranch, a bit of mayo, mustard, etc. I often enjoy adding a dab of mustard to the Oil/Vinegar mixture.
- Spices – Add spices such as garlic powder, garlic herb mixture, a dash of paprika, oregano, and salt/pepper.
This is such a fresh, fast meal when you’re on the go. It’s fantastic for summer picnics, days at the pool, or a leisurely low-carb lunch. The possibilities are endless.
In my hometown, we have a sandwich shop that has the most amazing homemade vinegar and oil dressing. When I created this recipe, I wanted it to taste similar as it provides a delicious punch of flavor to the low-carb sandwich bowl.
This is the keto lunch because it’s easy to make and delicious. By topping my low-carb sandwich bowl with parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, I was able to add additional flavor without adding carbs.
Can I use Keto bread in this recipe?
Although there is no bread in a keto sandwich bowl, there are always low-carb bread options. Check out my 90-second bread recipe, Chaffle Bread recipe, and Low Carb Keto Bread Recipe if you’d like to make a low carb sandwich instead of a sandwich bowl.
Is This Recipe Gluten-Free?
The ingredients used in this sandwich bowl recipe are traditionally gluten-free. However, due to various food sensitivities as well as degrees, please make sure to check every ingredient of the exact products you use in your kitchen. I am not personally gluten-free, nor am I an expert in this area; therefore, it’s essential that you do your due diligence to thoroughly and adequately investigate ingredients. Since I have a child with severe food allergies, I know that you can’t be too careful.
Don’t Miss Any New Recipes:
Don’t miss any recipes like this Keto Sandwich Bowl. If you aren’t already following my Easy Keto/Low Carb Recipe Page on Facebook, where I post all my new recipes, you can join here and follow me on Pinterest here. If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, many fantastic resources are available. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here.
You’ll love these Keto Salad Recipes
- Keto Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Low Carb Hot Bacon Dressing for Salads
- Keto Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Keto Taco Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Keto Big Mac Salad
- Keto Marinated Cole Slaw
- Keto Chicken Salad
More Easy Keto Recipes:
- Hot Ham & Cheese Unwich Casserole
- Easy Hot Ham & Cheese Roll-Ups
- 90-Second Keto Bread – add your favorite toppings for a delicious keto sandwich
Easy Keto Sandwich Bowl
- Chop ham, cheese, and veggies then put them in a bowl.
- Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Italian seasoning, and mix together.
- Dress the keto sandwich bowl.
- Enjoy! (This keto sandwich bowl tastes best after sitting for a few minutes so the oil/vinegar mixture can infuse all the other ingredients.