These Keto Short Ribs are so tender and delicious! This keto beef comfort dish is simmered in a slow-cooker all day and served over mashed cauliflower! Flavor-filled braised keto beef short ribs is sure to become one of your favorite crock-pot inspired meals!
These keto beef short ribs in the slow cooker are so simple to make! All you have to do is brown the short ribs, then throw them in a crockpot with the rest of the ingredients and let them braise in the flavorful sauce. Braised keto short ribs are a perfect weeknight dinner!
What Are Short Ribs?
Beef short ribs refer to the cut of meat you are receiving. Short ribs come from the beef chuck portion of a cow. They refer to the 5 short ribs that are too small to use as steaks, so short ribs are just that, the short ribs of a cow. The meat between the 5 rib bones is too muscley and small to use as steaks; however, it is much more flavorful than the typical cut of meat, which is why beef short ribs are so popular and delicious.
Are Short Ribs Keto?
No, normal shortribs are not typically keto. The gravy they are served in is often thickened by corn starch or flour, adding tons of carbohydrates. However, this keto recipe does not contain any flour and contains only 1 net carb preserving. In addition, this recipe does not contain any gluten making them gluten-free short ribs as well! However, make sure to read every ingredient before making and eating them if you have an allergy.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- beef short ribs- There are two different types of ribs, beef short ribs and back ribs. These two cuts of meat are totally different, so make sure that you grab the correct kind!
- onion, garlic, tomato paste, and beef broth- These ingredients serve as the base for the sauce that the beef short ribs will braze in.
- Braggs aminos- This healthy soy sauce substitute adds depth and extra flavor to keto short ribs.
- various spices- Seasonings give the short ribs their comforting flavor.
Step 1: Add olive oil to a skillet and turn on medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, then sear until each side is browned—Browning meat locks in the flavor, adding extra depth and texture.
Step 2: Add the seared meat to a slow cooker and the rest of the ingredients, except the xanthan gum, to create a braising liquid. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or until the meat is tender and is falling off the bone.
Step 3: Thicken the braising liquid into a gravy by pouring it into a pan then bringing it to a boil. Add the xanthan gum and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Start with 1/4 a tsp of xanthan gum, and then add 1/4 tsp more if you would like it even thicker. The trick is to be patient and not keep adding; it will take a minimum of 5 minutes to thicken the gravy.
Step 4: Serve over mashed cauliflower rice and enjoy! Serve over my Creamy Keto cauliflower Mash. This is one of my favorite side dishes with this short ribs recipe; you definitely don’t want to miss out!
Do I Have To Brown The Short Ribs?
No, you do not have to brown these short ribs. While browning will provide the best results, it is not always an option in a busy schedule, so do whatever is right for you and your family.
How To Store Keto Beef Short Ribs:
Allow the meat and gravy to come to room temperature, then place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How To Freeze Short Ribs:
Once the meat has cooled, shred the meat off the bone into a freezer-friendly container. You can freeze short ribs with the sauce or separate, but frozen meat often has a different texture, so when you reheat the keto, short ribs will not be as good as when you first made them. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Best Way To Reheat:
There are a couple of different methods to reheating short ribs. Before rewarming frozen short ribs, allow them to thaw by placing them in the fridge overnight first.
First, add the short ribs to a covered pot or skillet and simmer in the sauce until rewarmed. This method works really well for short ribs that have been frozen because it warms them evenly without drying the meat out. It will also keep the meat fall off the bone tender!
Second, place them in an oven-safe skillet on 350 for 15-20 minutes. While this method is super easy, make sure to stir regularly to avoid drying the meat out.
Third, place the low-carb short ribs in a microwave-safe container and microwave for 30-second intervals stirring in between each one until they are heated all the way through.
When short ribs have been stored, the sauce will often separate, and the fat will harden on the top; however, this is completely normal. Once heated and stirred thoroughly, this will recombine!
What Can You Serve with Keto Beef Short Ribs?
Here are a few of my favorite keto side dishes to serve with keto short ribs:
- Keto Air Fryer Roasted Green Beans
- Easy Air Fryer Broccoli
- Easy Creamy Keto Cauliflower Mash
- Brussel Sprouts & Bacon
- Crock-Pot Keto Pot Roast
- Keto Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Crock-Pot Mississippi Chicken
- Keto Steak & Peppers in the Slow Cooker
Tender Keto Short Ribs Recipe in the Crock Pot
- In a skillet, add olive oil. Generously season the short ribs with salt and pepper and sear in a hot skillet until browned on each side.
- Add all the other ingredients to the crockpot except the xanthan gum and parsley and whisk to combine.
- Add the short ribs and slow cook for 6-8 hours on low or until meat is tender and begins to fall off the bone.
- To thicken the gravy, pour it into a skillet and bring it to a boil. Add the xanthan gum and turn down to medium/low heat and simmer for approximately 5-10 minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness. Start with ¼ tsp, and then add ¼ more if you’d like it thicker. The trick is you have to let it sit on the gravy to thicken for several minutes. It will look like it is doing nothing, then all of a sudden, it will set up.
- Serve on a bed of mashed cauliflower and then garnish with parsley for pics.