Waking up to a hearty and delicious Keto breakfast is the perfect way to start the day! This Keto Blueberry French Toast Casserole is a fantastic balance of sweet and delicious, with a nice taste of blueberry. It’s the perfect way to mix up your regular keto breakfast routine!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST KETO FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
While I don’t usually eat breakfast during the week, I am still a fan of breakfast foods and enjoy a big breakfast on Saturday mornings with my family. Often we will stick to just eggs and bacon, but sometimes it is nice to have a little variety like this Keto Blueberry French Toast Casserole. Even though it looks a bit fancy, it is effortless to make.
Making a keto french toast simply requires a few of the swaps you’d normally make when baking on a low carb and sugar diet. As long as your bread is keto and the sweeteners used are keto-friendly, you’re on your way to perfect low carb french toast! For this keto french toast, I started off by making my Keto Homemade Blueberry Bread. It’s the perfect bread for a blueberry french toast bake. I did adjust the recipe for this breakfast casserole, since a french toast bread must be drier in order to soak up all of the custard.
Ingredients for Blueberry Keto French Toast:
- Coconut flour – If you prefer using almond flour, keep in mind that the ratio is ¼ cup coconut flour = 1 cup almond flour, not a 1:1 substitution.
- Swerve Granulated or Monkfruit Classic – Whichever keto sweetener you have on hand works great for this recipe.
- Lakanto Sugar-Free Maple Syrup – What would french toast be without the maple syrup drizzle?! I love using this maple syrup whenever I’m enjoying a sweet pancake, waffle, or french toast breakfast.
- Monkfruit Powdered – This is optional, but I recommend it for sprinkling on top of the casserole before serving.
- Blueberries – These little blue berries give this keto french toast that perfectly sweet and fruity taste. I definitely recommend using fresh berries, not frozen.
- Cream cheese – Dots of cream cheese keep the casserole super moist and flavorful. Yum!
- Pecans – The nuts throughout this keto french toast casserole give it a wonderful crunch and flavor. Feel free to omit these if you’re allergic, of course!
- Cinnamon and vanilla – In my opinion, french toast wouldn’t be french toast without the aromatic flavors of cinnamon and vanilla.
How to make this keto french toast recipe:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 X 13 casserole dish. Next, make my Homemade Keto Blueberry Bread recipe (without the glaze). However, be sure to leave out 1 of the eggs and the heavy whipping cream because you will need a bread that is a bit more sturdy to make the French Toast Casserole.
Step 2: Slice the bread into 12 equal slices and place on a cookie sheet in the oven. Bake one side for 10 minutes at 300 degrees then turn the bread over and bake the other side for 10 min. The purpose is to dry out the bread but not to brown it. Allow the bread to cool then cut up into small cubes. Spread out the blueberry bread cubes in the bottom of the casserole dish.
Step 3: Combine the heavy whipping cream, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl and beat with a mixer on medium/high until thoroughly combined.
Step 4: Drop the chopped pieces of cream cheese on top of the blueberry bread. Make sure to space them out evenly. Pour the egg mixture on top. Finally, sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the Keto Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS KETO FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE THE NIGHT BEFORE?
I’ve had several of you ask if the Low Carb Blueberry French Toast Casserole can be made the evening before and then baked the next morning. I do not think that it would hold up soaking overnight in the egg mixture. My advice is to bake your bread the night before to save some time the morning of. You could get the casserole ready and leave the egg mixture in a bowl, then combine the two before baking.
HOW DO YOU STORE KETO BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE LEFTOVERS?
I stored my leftovers in the fridge, which worked out very well. It should keep for about a week in the fridge — if it lasts that long! If you need to store the keto french toast leftovers for longer, I would recommend freezing it for up to 6 months. To save space in your freezer, cut squares out of the casserole, place them neatly in a freezer bag, and stow that in the freezer. I find it helpful to label my freezer bags with the name of the food and the date so that I know what’s what and when things should be thrown out.
CAN YOU OMIT THE BLUEBERRIES FROM THIS RECIPE?
Not a blueberry fan? Don’t have any on hand and can’t get to the store? Not a problem! You can absolutely leave out the blueberries when making the keto blueberry bread at the beginning of this recipe. It won’t have that same balance of sweet, fresh, and fruity flavor, but it will still be delicious. Alternatively, you could sub in a berry you do like in place of the blueberries.
How to Make Keto Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Keto Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Follow Instruction number 2 below to make my homemade Keto Blueberry Bread first.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into small bits
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- First, make my Homemade Keto Blueberry Bread recipe (without the glaze) but leave out 1 of the eggs and the heavy whipping cream because you will need a bread that is a bit more sturdy to make the French Toast Casserole.
- Slice the bread into 12 equal slices and place on a cookie sheet in the oven. Bake one side for 10 minutes at 300 degrees then turn the bread over and bake the other side for 10 min. The purpose is to dry out the bread but not to brown it.
- Allow the bread to cool then cut up into small cubes.
- Spread out the blueberry bread cubes in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Combine the heavy whipping cream, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl and beat with a mixer on medium/high until thoroughly combined.
- Drop the chopped pieces of cream cheese on top of the blueberry bread. Make sure to space them out evenly.
- Pour the egg mixture on top.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the Keto Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
- Bake for 23-30 minutes or until it reaches desired doneness.
MORE KETO BREAKFAST RECIPES
Hungry for more? Try out these incredible low carb breakfast recipes!
Yum! You can make this keto french toast early in the week and enjoy for several days.