This keto chicken enchilada casserole is so simple and delicious! It’s the perfect low-carb twist on a Mexican favorite. This Mexican keto casserole is sure to make your weekly dinner rotations!
Chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite Mexican comfort foods. When I first started on the Keto diet, I knew that this was one dish I would miss, so I decided to make a low-carb version! This keto enchilada casserole is so delicious, creamy, and easy to make. You won’t even miss the tortillas!
Does this Recipe use low-carb tortillas?
No, this recipe takes classic enchiladas and puts a keto spin on it to make a casserole. It has all the flavors of a chicken enchilada you love, without the extra carbs that a tortilla would add! You can enjoy the casserole with low-carb tortillas for a delicious meal as it also makes a fantastic filler.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- chicken– This recipe uses shredded chicken; you can either make chicken in a crockpot or buy a rotisserie chicken.
- homemade low carb enchilada sauce – it takes only minutes to make and is full of incredible flavor without the carbs
- white cheddar cheese and sharp cheddar cheese– Cheese makes these enchiladas creamy, flavorful, and full of fat!
- green chilies– These add a little bit of spice and tanginess, making this keto enchilada casserole irresistible.
- various seasonings– The seasonings in this casserole take the Mexican flavor over the top!
- cilantro– Fresh cilantro adds such an earthy flavor that it is so delicious!
Below you’ll find a step-by-step pictorial for those who prefer visuals. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page for the recipe card with the detailed ingredients and instructions.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and grease the casserole dish with cooking spray. While the oven is preheating, place a large skillet on medium heat, add melt the butter, then add the seasonings. Turn the stove on low and saute.
Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce on medium-high heat and boil until the sauce thickens and reduces. Here you can find a detailed description with step-by-step instructions of homemade keto enchilada sauce.
Step 3: Add shredded chicken, 1/2 of the cheeses, and green chilies to the skillet. Next, pour the chicken mixture into the casserole dish, making sure the casserole is level, so it cooks evenly.
Step 4: Top with the rest of the cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown. Take the keto chicken enchilada casserole out of the oven top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
What Type of Chicken should I use?
I prefer to use shredded chicken breasts made in the crock-pot because I’m not too fond of dark meat, but you can also use chicken thighs or rotisserie chicken if you prefer. Use your favorite cut of chicken!
Can I use Canned Enchilada Sauce?
I personally would not recommend using canned enchilada sauce as it contains corn starch and sugar. It is also much higher in carbs than the easy homemade version in the recipe card below. However, if you are low carb and not following a keto diet, it might fit into your macros.
Toppings for Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This recipe is so versatile you can top it with your favorite Mexican toppings. Here are some of the most popular in my house, diced onion for a bit of crunch, jalapenos peppers to add some spice, sour cream to cool down the heat and add an extra creamy texture, lime for a little bit of tang, or even avocado slices to add extra fat!
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
Yes! Meal prep is a large part of the keto diet, and casseroles are one of the easiest meals for meal prep! To make keto chicken enchilada casserole, ahead of time combine the ingredients for the enchilada sauce, mix in the chicken and cheese, layer in the baking dish. Reserve the cheese that will be sprinkled over the top until after baking to have a better texture. Place the prepared casserole in the fridge or freezer, depending on when you plan to bake it. When you are ready to bake, take it out of the oven, sprinkle the cheese on top, and pop it in the oven. It make take a little longer to bake since it is cold from the fridge.
Can you Freeze Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
To freeze, prepare the casserole as the instructions describe but do not add the extra cheese over the top. Frozen cheese can have an odd texture that will throw the entire dish off. Once you have layered the casserole in the pan, wrap with saran wrap first, then use aluminum foil to seal the entire pan. Make sure to crimp the edges making the wrap as tight as possible, so it does not get freezer burned. This dish can last for 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store leftovers:
Place the leftover enchilada casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. If you do not plan on eating them within this time period, you can also place them in a freezer-friendly airtight container and store them for up to 3 months.
Best Way to Reheat:
If your casserole has been frozen, remove it from the freezer the night before baking and place it in the fridge overnight. Once it has thawed, sprinkle the cheese mixture over the top and bake for the time designated in the recipe card.
If you have already baked your casserole and are rewarming leftovers, place them in the microwave until warmed or place in the oven until the desired temperature has been reached.
More Low-Carb Mexican Recipes
You also don’t want to miss these 37 Keto & Low Carb Casserole Recipes you must try!
Keto Enchilada Casserole
EASY HOMEMADE LOW CARB ENCHILADA SAUCE
- 3 TB butter
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp vinegar
KETO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- Enchilada Sauce made using the recipe above
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken (cooked in the crockpot or a rotisserie chicken
- 3 oz white cheddar cheese
- 3 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can green chilis
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Optional Toppings: sour cream cilantro, jalapenos, lime
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8 X 8 casserole dish
- In a skillet, melt the butter then add the spices and saute on low for 2 min.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil on medium to high heat. Boil for 8-12 minutes or until the sauce reduces by approx half and begins to thicken.
- Add the shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of the cheeses (mixed), and can of green chilis to the skillet. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with the rest of the cheese and bake for 10-15 min or until the chicken mixture is bubbly and the cheese is melted on top.