The past couple of weeks have been crazy around here. I can’t even believe that school has started back. As a homeschool mom, I hate to see our laid back summer coming to an end. One thing is for sure; dinner has to be simple now. Otherwise, I am tempted to order in, which isn’t always good when you are determined to stick to a keto/low carb way of eating. I have found that one skillet or casserole type meals are quick and easy especially when both of my big kids are playing fall ball. By cooking the chicken in my slow cooker first, it cuts back on cooking time so that I can have dinner on the table in a snap. I want to preface this recipe by saying, I don’t personally like cauliflower very much. Almost all the recipes I’ve tried for cauliflower breads or cauliflower mashed potatoes just haven’t been that great as I still get the cauliflower taste and smell. However, in this recipe, all the spices completely tone it down, and I don’t taste cauliflower at all. In fact, my son, who hates cauliflower and is always suspect of hidden veggies in new recipes, thought that the cauliflower was corn this time. Then, my two-year old asked for “more Taco Bell” after her first serving. I count both of those as a win! We all loved how this Cheesy Mexican Chicken Skillet turned out. It’s one of those recipes that is even better the next day.
I served ours with a green salad for a quick meal.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ⅓ cup diced green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I prepared mine in the slow cooker)
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 12 oz bag steamed riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or taco seasoning packet)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Monterrey
- In a cast iron skillet, melt butter then saute onion, pepper, and garlic until softened.
- Steam riced cauliflower in microwave according to package directions.
- Add homemade taco seasoning, Rotel, chicken broth, and cauliflower to skillet.
- Stir to combine then cook on medium/low approx 10 minutes until extra liquid is absorbed.
- Add cooked chicken and stir well. If mixture gets too thick, add a little more chicken broth.
- Simmer on low covered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, cover and simmer until cheese is melted.
- Optional: Serve with sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, etc.
Nutritional Information According to the MyFitnessPal app based on 6 servings – 278 Calories, 15.4 g Fat, 22.3g Protein, 7.9g Carbs – 2.2 g Fiber = 5.7 Net Carbs
Check out all of my keto recipes in my Keto Recipe Index.