This Ultimate Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole is an easy keto, low-carb meal your family will love! Layered with shredded chicken, creamy cheese, crispy bacon, and jalapeño peppers, this recipe has all the jalapeño popper flavors you love.
What Is Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole?
If you haven’t had a jalapeño popper before, it is simply a jalapeno pepper, sliced, and stuffed with a cheesy filling, sometimes topped with breadcrumbs and baked! They are a somewhat spicy but flavorful appetizer. So this jalapeño chicken casserole is a popular appetizer turned into a weeknight meal. It has all the same ingredients in it PLUS chicken and bacon!
Like my other keto casserole recipes, this one is also simple to make, especially if you make and shred the chicken ahead of time. Having shredded chicken breasts and cooked bacon ready to go when you get home turns this low carb meal into a super quick dinner!
This recipe was inspired by my Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup recipe. If you haven’t tried that yet, you need to!
How To Make Keto Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole
Preparing your chicken casserole can take less than 10 minutes once you have your ingredients, prepared, and ready to go!
Step 1: The first thing you want to do is cook your meats.
Prepare your bacon using your preferred method. (You can use your oven or a skillet to do this.) Crumble it when it’s cooled.
Then it’s time to prepare your chicken! I used boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can also use boneless or bone-in chicken thighs if you prefer.
Cooking-wise, you have several options:
Option 1: Cook your chicken in a slow cooker in water or broth for a few hours until cooked through and tender. Check out these step-by-step directions for how to make shredded chicken in the crock-pot.
Option 2: Boil the chicken in water or broth on the stove until it is cooked through and tender.
Option 3: Put your Instant Pot to work if you are in a hurry to cook the chicken, especially if it’s frozen!
Option 4: Purchase a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Once your chicken is cooked, you want to shred it with two forks, then layer it in a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
Step 2: Add your cream cheese, chicken broth, cheddar cheese, heavy whipping cream, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper to a skillet. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until sauce thickens.
Step 3: Time to layer the chicken casserole in the baking dish! Top your shredded chicken breasts with 2/3 of the sliced jalapeño peppers. Jalapeños are a mildly hot pepper, but with that said, I still like to remove the seeds and ribs (inner white part) from the jalapeños to help tame the heat. A good idea if you have younger ones!
Tip* If you like heat, leave the seeds AND ribs in your jalapeños before slicing! Did you know that certain jalapeños can be hotter than others? Here are some great tips to keep in mind when picking out your peppers in the grocery store!
Step 4: Pour your rich and cheesy cream sauce over top of the chicken and jalapeños!
Step 5: Add remaining jalapeño peppers and sprinkle the top with Monterey jack cheese.
Step 6: Bake your chicken casserole, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle crumbled bacon over top. Pop back in the oven for another 3-5 minutes. Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve hot!
Are Jalapeños Keto Friendly?
Yes! They are 1 carb and 4 calories per pepper! So if you are on the keto diet, this jalapeño popper chicken casserole is for you! Check out more nutritional information at the bottom of the recipe card for net carbs in this recipe!
Tips For Making Your Keto Jalapeño Popper Casserole QUICKER!
- Use a Rotisserie chicken (This will save you a few hours.)
- Use precooked real bacon (I buy the large bags at Costco) OR if you meal plan/prep, cook 1-2 pounds of bacon ahead of time, crumble, and keep in the fridge or freezer to grab quickly!
- Assemble your casserole ahead of time and place in your fridge covered until ready to bake! (Baking time may be a little longer.)
What Can You Serve Alongside Your Chicken Casserole?
If you are following a keto or low carb diet, these options would be great sides!
- Roasted Broccoli
- Steamed Cauliflower
- Southern Green Beans
- Leafy Garden Salad
- Sauteed Spinach
More Easy Low Carb Chicken Casserole Recipes:
- Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- BBQ Keto Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Quick & Easy Low Carb Chili Casserole
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Easy Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Keto Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli Bake
Also make sure you check out these 37 Keto & Low Carb Casserole Recipes!
How to Make Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole Keto Recipe:
The Ultimate Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole - Keto Recipe
- 1 3/4 lbs Chicken breasts (bone-in or boneless)
- 7 oz Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 TB chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese
- 5 whole jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 slices Bacon
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped (dried is fine too)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook your bacon slices by the preferred method. When done, crumble into bits and set aside.
- Cook all of your chicken in your slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. You can also boil your chicken over the stove until cooked through. (Buying a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken is a quicker option!)
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks.
- In a skillet, combine softened cream cheese, chicken broth, cheddar cheese, whipping cream, garlic and onion powder, paprika, and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Simmer with the lid off on medium-low heat whisking for 4-5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken a bit. See process pics above as you don't want the sauce super thick. You want it to be thin enough to cover the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish and add your shredded chicken in an even layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the jalapenos on top of the chicken. Pour cheese sauce evenly over top of chicken and jalapenos. Top with remaining 1/3 jalapeno slices and Monterey jack cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven. Sprinkle bacon crumbles over top and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle top with freshly chopped parsley. Serve hot!