Years ago after I had an appendectomy, a sweet friend of mine brought homemade potato soup to my house for dinner while I was recovering. She was so kind to share the recipe, which included swiss cheese as a secret ingredient. Since then, I’ve been adding a little swiss cheese to potato and broccoli soup. It’s a subtle flavor, but I think it adds so much. Homemade Broccoli & Cheese Soup is one of my favorites, but when researching the nutritional information, most recipes I found were too high in carbs for my keto lifestyle. Upon further research, I found several recipes on Pinterest that were much more Keto friendly, so I started experimenting. I usually add an ingredient from one recipe, take away an ingredient from another recipe then tweak other ingredients to make a recipe of my own. I think this recipe for Keto Broccoli & Cheese Soup turned out really good, and it was easy to whip up at lunch today.
Update: After hearing that some were having trouble getting the cheese to melt properly I have revised this recipe. Although it adds an extra step, it is foolproof in getting perfectly melted cheese
Serves: 8 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz frozen broccoli florets (or 4 cups fresh)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp pink salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional: ¾ tsp of Xanthan Gum to thicken soup
- 3 pieces of bacon, crumbled
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- In a large saucepan add 3 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cook on medium/low for 6 minutes with the lid on the pot until broccoli is tender.
- While the broccoli is cooking, melt butter in a skillet and saute diced onions and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, spices, and salt/pepper to the onions and garlic in the skillet.
- Bring mixture in the skillet to a boil and whisk continuously. Once it starts boiling, add all of the cheeses, stirring with a whisk as it melts.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 6 minutes then remove from heat.
- Add cheese mixture to saucepan with the broccoli and chicken broth.
- Summer on low for 5 minutes.
- Turn stove off and remove from heat.
- Optional: to thicken soup add ¾ tsp of Xanthan Gum. Stir well with a whisk then allow to thicken for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve each bowl with shredded cheese and bacon on top.
Nutritional Information Based on MyFitnessPal App: (8 servings) Calories 460, Fat 36.2 grams, Protein 21.6 grams, carbs 4.9 grams – 1.8 fiber = 3.1 net carbs