I love experimenting with new low carb/keto recipes. Especially when they are easy and my entire family enjoys the finished product. Since I’m a very busy mom of 4, I am always looking for ways to change up a recipe I currently already make that we love into something a little different. It helps me not to get in a dinnertime rut. Otherwise, I end up cooking the same things week after week. My family loves my Queso Soup recipe. In fact, my kids ask for it all the time. So, I thought why not change out the ground beef for chicken and a couple of other changes to make Chicken Fajita Soup instead. My 13-year-old daughter really enjoys cooking with me, so I grabbed her yesterday afternoon and we got to work. The finished product was delish, so much so that my 2-year-old ate it for dinner last night and lunch today. If you’ve got a 2-year-old, you know how opinionated they can be about their meals. Ha!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth (this is to pour over chicken in slow cooker)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2½ tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning (recipe here) or 1 packet of taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook boneless skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low in a cup of chicken broth. Season with salt/pepper.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and shred. (You can strain the leftover broth for the soup.)
- In a large saucepan saute green pepper, onion, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter until they are translucent.
- With a spoon mash the cream cheese into the veggies so that it will combine smoothly as it melts.
- Add the canned tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and taco seasoning.
- Simmer on low uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Top each bowl with shredded cheese, cilantro, and/or sour cream.
Nutritional Information based on MyFitnessPal app (8 servings) – Calories 315, Fat 17.6g, Protein 27.7g, Carbs 8.2g – Fiber 1.6g – 6.6 Net Carbs