Keto Cheeseburger Soup is perfect for those on a low carb and keto diet. Being low in net carbs, and so incredibly easy to make you’ll want to make this soup again and again. This never-fail keto soup is sure to become a new family favorite.
Keto Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
It is finally starting to cool down here in Tennessee, and I am so excited for soups and stews. Yesterday, I couldn’t stop thinking about making soup. As I was perusing Pinterest, I found several soup recipes that looked amazing, but none of them were keto-friendly.
I started thinking about how I could change up a Cheeseburger Soup recipe that I used to enjoy so that it would be low carb. I added riced cauliflower instead of potatoes, and it was indeed better than I expected. Usually, I’m not a huge fan of cauliflower. However, when you saute it in butter and add it to soup with a yummy ground beef/cheesy base, the flavors merge, and the result is delicious. This soup is very filling, and it made enough for leftovers this week for lunch as well.
Is Cheeseburger Soup Keto Friendly?
Traditionally, cheeseburger soup contains potatoes and Velveeta cheese., This keto-friendly version of Cheeseburger Soup has cauliflower rice and shredded cheese instead. With only two net carbs per serving, this keto version is high in fat and low carb.
Often cauliflower is bland and mushy. Frying it in butter first adds delicious texture and flavor in this keto cheeseburger soup with cream cheese.
Brown ground beef until it is no longer pink, then add the spices and other ingredients to a large pot. Simmering the ingredients together creates a depth of bold flavors.
Variation Tip: I used chicken broth in my recipe but you could sub beef broth instead.
How to Thicken Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup:
- Simmer on low with the lid off until thickened
- Add more cream cheese
- Use 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to thicken
- Remove about a cup of the soup from the pot and use an immersion blender. Then pour the mixture back into the soup.
How to Store Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup?
Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup can be refrigerated for 3-4 days. You may need to add extra broth to the soup as it tends to thicken in the fridge. Since dairy products such as heavy whipping cream and cream cheese often break down when frozen, this soup may not freeze well.
This soup is so delicious! My family loved it, and it made me one happy mamma to know my family enjoyed such a healthy meal. Plus, it was so easy to clean up, leaving more time to spend with my family, which is always a bonus
What to Serve with Keto Cheeseburger Soup?
An easy fresh garden salad would go perfect with such a hearty soup to make a complete, delicious, healthy meal.
Toppings Ideas for Keto Cheeseburger Soup:
- add cooked bacon to make a bacon cheeseburger soup
- extra shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped pickles
More Delicious Keto Soup Recipes to Try:
Don’t Miss Any New Recipes:
Don’t miss any recipes like this, Keto Cheeseburger Soup. If you aren’t already following my Easy Keto/Low Carb Recipe Page on Facebook, where I post all my new recipes and content, join here. Follow me on Pinterest for inspiration, recipe ideas, and more low carb/keto recipes here.
How to Get Started on the Keto Diet
If you are just getting started following the keto/ low carb diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources and help available. Amazon also has several excellent books you may want to check out here. You can also find a ton of low carb/keto recipes in my Keto Recipe Index.
How to Make Keto Cheeseburger Soup
Keto Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 of a small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 12 oz frozen riced cauliflower
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese freshly shredded (not prepackaged)
- 3 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Cook riced cauliflower in microwave according to package directions.
- Brown ground beef drain and set aside. (I brown mine in advance and freeze in 1 lb portions.)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and minced garlic in one tablespoon of butter until translucent.
- Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter and the riced cauliflower to the onion/garlic mixture and saute for 5 minutes stirring so that it doesn't stick.
- Add ground beef, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and spices.
- Bring soup mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese a cup at a time, stirring with a whisk so that it melts evenly.
- Once the cheese is melted, add the softened cream cheese so that the soup thickens.
- I also used an immersion blender in about 1 cup of the soup to thicken it further. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the soup to thicken.