It is finally starting to cool down here in Tennessee, and I am so excited for soups and stews. In fact, when I was at homeschool group yesterday I couldn’t stop thinking about making soup for dinner last night. As I was perusing Pinterest, I found several soup recipes that looked amazing, but none of them were keto friendly. However, the great thing about following a keto/low carb lifestyle is that many recipes can be easily tweaked. So, I started thinking about how I could change up a Cheeseburger Soup recipe so that it would be low in carbs and high in fat and was so pleased with the outcome. I added riced cauliflower instead of potatoes, and it was truly better than I expected. Normally, I’m not a huge fan of cauliflower. I don’t think cauliflower mashed potatoes are good and in my opinion, cauliflower should never ever be in pizza. However, when you saute it in butter and add it to soup with a yummy ground beef/cheesy base the flavors merge all together, and the result is absolutely delicious. This soup is very filling, and it made enough for leftovers this week for lunch as well.
Other Keto Soup Recipes:
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ of a small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 bag of riced cauliflower, 10 oz
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp pink salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ tsp Xanthan Gum
- Cook riced cauliflower in microwave according to package directions.
- Brown ground beef drain and set aside. (I brown mine in advance and freeze in 1 lb portions.)
- In a large saucepan saute onion and minced garlic in one tablespoon of butter until translucent.
- Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter and the riced cauliflower to the onion/garlic mixture and saute for 5 minutes stirring so that it doesn't stick.
- Add ground beef, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and spices.
- Bring soup mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese a cup at a time, stirring with a whisk so that it melts evenly.
- Once the cheese is melted, add the Xanthan Gum so that the soup thickens.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the soup to thicken.
Nutritional Information Based on MyFitnessPal app – 509 calories, 41g fat, 27.2g protein, 5.4g carbs – 2.4g fiber = 3 net carbs per serving based on 8 servings