This healthy and delicious Keto Loaded Broccoli is the yummiest way to eat your greens! Broccoli gets cooked up in a cheesy, creamy sauce and topped with crispy bacon bits. It makes a perfect low-carb side dish or appetizer!
Low Carb and Keto Broccoli Recipe
With four kids, my hubby and I have realized how important it is for us to take time out for date nights. We do our best to get some special time together by going out to dinner every other week. Recently, Outback Steakhouse has been our go-to restaurant to visit for date night. It’s such an easy restaurant for keto-friendly meals, and they have a loaded broccoli side that is to die for. Best of all, it’s keto and low carb friendly!
Today at lunch, I was trying to figure out what to make with a pretty empty fridge. I have yet to make it to the grocery store after a crazy busy weekend, so the pickings were slim. As I looked around my fridge, I spotted fresh broccoli that needed to be cooked. The first thing that came to mind was recreating that incredible loaded keto broccoli dish from Outback Steakhouse, but adding bacon to jazz it up a bit!
This Loaded Keto Broccoli turned out so good; it’s going to become a staple in our house! I’m still stuffed from lunch. It was so easy to make. This keto broccoli recipe can easily serve as a main dish. Alternatively, you could have it with a big juicy steak (the Outback way!). I’m telling y’all, this keto way of life feeds us well — any naysayers just haven’t discovered what it’s all about! Even the kids will love this keto broccoli recipe. They might even ask for seconds!
- Fresh broccoli – Broccoli works incredibly well in this cheesy dish. It’s a fantastic way to use up veggies in your fridge.
- Bacon – This ingredient is optional but HIGHLY recommended. It takes this keto broccoli dish over the top.
- Parmesan and cheddar cheese – I found this combination of cheeses perfect. The cheddar cheese also helps thicken up the sauce. Feel free to add or substitute another sharp/salty cheese if you’d like!
- Cream cheese – The cream cheese helps make the sauce irresistibly thick and creamy.
- Chicken broth – This is a staple for most great sauces. It helps thin everything out for that perfect consistency. You can use vegetable stock if you’re out of chicken.
- Heavy whipping cream — Another ingredient that makes the sauce creamy and oh-so-good, don’t skip this one!
- Italian seasoning – This blend of flavors works well in this keto broccoli recipe. I love this versatile mix of seasonings.
- Garlic – If you’re a huge garlic lover, feel free to add more cloves to your liking! I found that two cloves in this recipe were just right for my taste buds.
Steps to make this keto broccoli recipe:
Step 1: Chop and wash your fresh broccoli. (I cut mine into pieces that leaned on the bigger side, so they didn’t get overcooked.) Steam or boil the broccoli pieces until desired tenderness, then drain and set them aside.
Optional: Add chopped onion for added flavor
Step 2: In a skillet, add all the other ingredients except the bacon crumbs and whisk until combined. Cook on low/medium heat for approximately 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens, whisking continuously. Add steamed broccoli to the cheese sauce.
Step 3: Top with bacon crumbles. If you prefer, sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup of freshly shredded cheese on top.
Tip: You can place the oven-safe skillet in a 400-degree oven for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon crumbles.
THE BEST LOADED BROCCOLI SAUCE
As I was thinking about what kind of cheese sauce to make, I decided to modify the sauce for my Creamy Parmesan Garlic Pork Chops by adding more cheddar cheese. It worked perfectly! Doesn’t this keto-friendly/low-carb Loaded Broccoli look divine? If you don’t already have a cast-iron skillet, they are super cheap on Amazon. I’ve got several that I use all the time.
WHAT’S THE BEST SKILLET TO USE FOR THIS RECIPE?
I used my trustworthy cast iron skillet to make this keto broccoli. If you don’t already have a cast-iron skillet, they are super cheap on Amazon. I’ve got several that I use all the time. If you plan on crisping up the bacon in the oven at the end, you’ll want to use an oven-safe skillet like a cast iron.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE FROZEN BROCCOLI FOR FRESH?
Frozen vegetables are a great way to save money at the grocery store and time in the kitchen. Since frozen broccoli comes pre-cut into chunks, it’s ready to go whenever you need it! However, frozen vegetables do need to be prepared in a slightly different way than fresh vegetables. Don’t microwave your frozen broccoli, as this can leave it mushy and unappetizing. Instead, steam or roast your frozen broccoli for best results and try not to overcook them. Also, don’t add the frozen broccoli straight into the cheese sauce. Frozen veggies release moisture as they thaw, which would result in a watery sauce — not a nice thick consistency. Drain it completely and pat with a paper towel to dry.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO THIS LOADED KETO BROCCOLI?
The sky’s the limit as far as toppings go when it comes to loaded broccoli! Besides bacon, other great toppings that come to mind are sour cream, chives, and extra cheese. Think of the kinds of toppings you would typically add to a loaded baked potato!
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE WITH LOADED BROCCOLI?
While this low-carb loaded broccoli works excellent as a main dish, here are some more recipes that would be incredibly delicious with this broccoli on the side!
- Keto Bunless Bacon Hamburgers
- Easy Keto Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Delicious Keto Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with a Tangy Glaze
Other great main dish options would be a simple grilled steak or chicken with all the yummy seasonings. However you choose to serve up this dish, I know you’ll love it just as I do!
Other keto broccoli dishes:
- Keto Broccoli Casserole with Ham and Cheese
- Comforting Keto and Low Carb Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Best Keto Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole with Broccoli
Check out all of my Keto Recipes in my Keto Recipes Index.
How to Make Creamy Garlic Parmesan Broccoli and Bacon:
Keto Loaded Broccoli with Cheese & Bacon
- 5 cups of fresh broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup bacon crumbles
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan (optional for garnish)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- Chop and wash fresh broccoli. (I cut mine into bigger pieces.)
- Steam or boil until desired tenderness then drain and set aside.
- In a skillet add all other ingredients except bacon crumbles and whisk until combined.
- Cook on low/medium heat for approximately 5-7 minutes until sauce thickens, whisking continuously.
- Add broccoli to cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Top with bacon crumbles. Optional: Add another 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Optional: Place oven safe skillet in a 400-degree oven to crisp bacon crumbles.