Growing up in the south, Vegetable Soup was a staple at our house. Hearty and filling, it is comfort food at it’s finest. With that in mind, I created this Keto Vegetable Soup with Ground Beef recipe and it does not disappoint. It is full of incredible flavor and healthy vegetables like the traditional version but it fits perfectly into a low carb diet.
Down Home Keto Vegetable Soup with Ground Beef
Vegetable Soup has always been a favorite of mine. I used to make it at least twice a week during the winter, but have missed it immensely since we started following a low carb lifestyle several years ago.
My oldest daughter and I were recently talking about how we could make a Keto Vegetable Soup recipe if we subbed out some of the higher carb veggies for lower carb alternatives. I thought it would be worth a try, but wasn’t sure how it would taste.
To my surprise, it turned out every bit as good as regular vegetable soup. It was nice and hearty and chock full of delicious vegetables. We had my husband’s parents over for dinner to try it out with us, and they loved it too. In fact, we ate the entire huge pot of soup that night to my oldest daughter’s disappointment as she had planned on eating it the next day. Since it’s important for my kids to eat healthily, I made a second pot the next day for lunch.
Does Vegetable Soup have carbs?
Traditional Vegetable Soup recipes are higher in carbs due to higher carb vegetables like corn, lima beans, peas, etc. However, this Keto version is low in carbs without compromising that down-home taste we all love.
What Vegetables do you Use in Low Carb Vegetable Soup?
I wanted to make sure I used a nice variety of veggies. If you don’t like all of the veggies in the list below, feel free to omit. It’s easy to customize this recipe to your liking.
- bell pepper
- green beans
- radishes (promise you can’t taste them)
Tip: This soup is excellent to make towards the end of the week when you might have veggies going bad in the fridge.
How to add additional flavor to the recipe
Ground Beef gives this soup delicious flavor along with added fat to keep you full. I also sauteed some of the veggies in butter.
Don’t skip the spices!
Spices add so much flavor and depth to this recipe. I used the same spices I use in my traditional Vegetable Soup, then I incorporate Bragg’s Aminos, which is a natural alternative to soy sauce, for a little boldness. I don’t like bland soup, and this recipe is undoubtedly flavorsome and hearty.
Can you freeze keto vegetable soup?
Vegetable soup freezes great! You can store it in the freezer in freezer-safe storage bags or any freezer-safe container. To reheat, I always thaw mine in the fridge overnight then rewarm in the microwave or on the stove. You can also portion it out in individual servings for meal prep.
Tips and Variations for Making Keto Vegetable Soup with Ground Beef:
- Feel free to substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.
- Use bone broth instead of regular broth for added health benefits.
- Change up the veggies to suit your tastes.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire Sauce or a bit of salsa for extra flavor
- Roast the vegetables in the oven first with a bit of salt and lemon juice for added texture and flavor.
- Use crushed fresh tomatoes instead of canned.
Time-Saving Tip: I keep ground beef already browned in the freezer to save time. I buy several pounds at once and brown them all. Next, I divide and freeze in freezer-safe storage bags. When I need ground beef for a recipe, I pop it in the microwave and then add to the dish. It saves so much time.
More Keto Soup Recipes:
- Queso Keto Taco Soup
- Low Carb Chicken Fajita Soup
- Keto Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup
- Low Carb Creamy Mushroom Chicken Soup
- Low Carb Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup
How to Make Keto Vegetable Soup with Ground Beef:
Down-Home Keto Vegetable Soup with Ground Beef
- 1.25 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 cup green beans (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 4 radishes, cubed
- 1/2 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1/2 cup okra, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Bragg's Aminos
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large dutch oven brown ground beef with the onion and drain. Set the ground beef aside. Rinse and wipe out the dutch oven if desired.
- Add the green beans, cabbage, radishes, and bell pepper to the dutch oven along with 2 tablespoons of butter. Saute for 8-10 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Add the canned tomatoes, beef broth, Braggs Aminos, and spices to the ground beef and vegetable mixture then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a slow boil and cover with a lid. Simmer for 50 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped zucchini, squash, and okra to the pot and simmer for another 25 minutes on medium heat with the lid on.
- If the soup reduces too much, add more broth.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!