This Keto French Toast recipe is so easy and delicious! You no longer have to skip out on your favorite breakfast food with this perfect low-carb breakfast recipe. By tweaking 90-second bread by adding some spices, dipping it in eggs and heavy whipping cream, frying it then springing some powdered sugar substitute over the top, you have the perfect fluffy keto french toast!
MOUTHWATERING KETO FRENCH TOAST
French toast is one of my family’s favorite breakfasts, and while on the keto diet, I did not want to miss out on one of my favorite meals! So, one morning I quickly whipped up an easy keto french toast recipe, and it was a hit. In addition to it being super delicious, it is so easy! In fact, you may even have the majority of the ingredients in your pantry already!
Can You Eat French Toast on Keto?
Traditionally no. French toast is often made from bread, which is high in carbs, fried in an egg and sugar mixture, and doused in maple syrup. It would probably not even take a whole slice to put you out of ketosis. However, this recipe uses several keto substitutes making the best keto-friendly french toast recipe!
- Coconut flour– This is the replacement for regular flour. Almond flour can be substituted; you would need approx 3 tablespoons. I haven’t personally tested this recipe using almond flour.
- Baking Powder – Needed ingredient for the coconut flour to rise so the french toast is fluffy!
- Butter – Adds moisture to the keto french toast since coconut flour can be dry without enough oil-based or egg ingredients.
- Heavy Whipping Cream & Butter – This is for coating the keto french toast.
- Cream Cheese – Adds flavor, fat, and moisture to the batter.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg – Adds delicious flavor.
- Lakanto Monkfruit Powdered Sugar or Swerve Confectioners’ Sugar – This adds all the sweetness without the carbs!
- Spices – Both of these sweeteners are interchangeable.
- Lakanto Sugar-Free Maple Syrup– This substitutes for regular maple syrup.
Steps to Make Keto French Toast:
Step 1: Melt butter in a ceramic or glass bowl; mine was about 6 inches, a shallow bowl also works great. Add coconut flour, cream cheese, baking powder, and spices and whisk together.
Step 2: Place in the microwave and cook for 90 seconds. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for a minute or so before the next step.
Step 3: Cut the keto french toast in half.
Step 4: In a flat dish, add one egg and heavy cream, then combine with a whisk. Soak bread on both sides in egg and heavy whipping cream mixture.
Step 5: Add 1 Tbs of butter to the pan to melt, then fry the slices of bread on medium heat until the french toast is golden brown.
Variations to this Recipe:
For some possible variations, you could add different types of extracts to enhance the flavor, such as pumpkin, orange, or vanilla extract.
If you do not have coconut flour, you can also use almond flour; you will need approx 3 Tbs of almond flour per 1 Tbs of coconut flour. Since my daughter has a severe nut allergy, I have not tried it this way and am unsure of the final result. In addition, you can also substitute unsweetened almond milk for heavy whipping cream.
How To Make French Toast Not Soggy
Soak the bread in the egg mixture for approx 20 seconds, and transfer it to a separate sheet so that the bread is not sitting in the mixture. Add butter to the skillet and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crispy. To keep the finished french toast warm, turn the oven to 200 degrees and place the french toast on a clean baking sheet until ready to serve.
Is It Better To Use Butter or Oil for my Low-Carb French Toast?
You can use either one, but if you are using butter, make sure that your griddle or cast-iron skillet does not get hotter than 375 degrees, causing the butter to burn. Wipe the pan clean after every two batches of toast.
How Many Carbs are in Quick Keto French Toast?
In this recipe, there are 6 carbs and 2 grams of fiber, coming out to 4 grams of net carbs per serving. Each 90-second bread you make is one serving.
Storage for Keto French Toast:
Place the easy low-carb french toast in an airtight container or bag, and refrigerate within the first two hours of cooking for 3-4 days. To freeze, place in a freezer-friendly container and put in the freezer for 2-3 months. To reheat, place french toast in a skillet and cook each side until crispy and warm again.
What is the Best Keto-Friendly Syrup?
Any type of syrup that fits within your macros will work, but there are some sugar-free syrups that taste better than others. Some of my favorites include Lakanto Sugar-Free Syrup and Mrs. Butterworth’s Sugar-Free Syrup, and there are even recipes to make it homemade.
What Kind of Fruit Can I Use?
Typically, fruit is fairly high in carbs, meaning you can only eat small amounts on keto. However, there are some low-carb exceptions, such as certain berries. Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries make great healthy keto french toast toppings!
How To Make Keto French Toast Sticks?
To make keto french toast sticks, follow the recipe for 90-second bread, and instead of cutting it in half, cut it into thin sticks. Soak in the egg mixture, fry in a skillet, and top with a keto-friendly powdered sugar substitute! This is a delicious easy variation to the original recipe!
Can You Make More Than Single Serving Keto French Toast?
Yes! I also have a recipe for family-sized low-carb french toast! For this recipe, you are going to follow my keto bread recipe, adding cinnamon and nutmeg. After baking, allow the loaf to sit and cool for a few minutes in the loaf pan. Once cooled, slice the bread to your desired thickness. Mix together the egg and heavy cream mixture and dip the bread slice in, making sure to soak both sides. Fry in a pan until golden brown! For more details, tips, and detailed recipe go to my family-sized-low-carb french toast recipe.
Can You Make Keto-Friendly French Toast into a Casserole?
Yes! While it is not the same recipe as this low-carb french toast, I do have a recipe to turn this into an easy keto blueberry french toast casserole! Simply make a loaf of keto blueberry bread and then cut it up into small cubes and place in a baking dish. Next, mix together heavy whipping cream, eggs, and vanilla and pour it over the bread, along with chopped cubes of cream cheese. Bake and then enjoy! For tips, tricks, and the detailed recipe, visit keto blueberry french toast casserole.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes:
- The Very Best Crispy Keto Waffles
- Best Keto Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- How to Cook Bacon in the Microwave
- Keto Blueberry Pancakes
- Low-Carb Keto Banana Bread
- Keto Cinamon Rolls
How to Make Low-Carb French Toast:
90-Second Keto French Toast
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1¼ tablespoon butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
For the French Toast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp Lakanto Monkfruit Powdered Sugar
- Melt butter in a ceramic or glass bowl. (mine was about 6 inches)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together until combined.
- Cook in the microwave for 90 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for a minute or two.
- Cut bread in half.
- In a flat dish add 1 egg and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and combine with a whisk.
- Soak bread on both sides in egg and heavy whipping cream mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet and fry each side until crisp.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon swerve or Lakanto sweetener. Berries are also delicious with this Keto French Toast.