This Keto Monterey Chicken Recipe is going to knock your socks off! I love serving up cheesy recipes, and this one is a perfect solution to dinnertime that is family-friendly and easy to prepare. Check out the full recipe below and add to your meal plan today!
Keto Monterey Chicken Recipe
I remember years ago loving the Monterey Chicken at Chili’s Restaurant Grill & Bar. Then, they took it off the menu, and it has been just a distant memory ever since. Since starting Keto, I have thought about making a keto friendly version. In fact, I did post a very lazy crockpot version of the recipe that is keto friendly/low carb, which is delicious, but I missed the skillet version like Chili’s Restaurant.
So, recently when I was craving Monterey Chicken and didn’t have time to wait for the chicken to cook in the crockpot, I made a low carb skillet version that turned out just like the one I remembered. It was extremely flavorful and delicious! All in all, it took about 25 minutes from start to finish since I had already cooked the bacon earlier in the day and my homemade low carb sugar-free BBQ sauce was already in the fridge.
What Kind of Skillet Do I Use?
I have found that cast iron skillet works best with recipes like this since they heat evenly and can go straight from the stove top to the oven. I have cast iron skillets that used to be my grandmother’s. Cast iron lasts forever and they are very affordable. However, they aren’t necessary to prepare this recipe. Any kind of oven save skillet will work just fine.
Where do I find Low Carb BBQ Sauce?
My favorite sugar-free low carb BBQ sauce is a family recipe that I tweaked to make keto friendly. It is simple to prepare without a lot of added ingredients that aren’t necessary. You can find my recipe here. If you are looking for convenience, there are several brands that make a sugar-free variety that can be ordered from Amazon or you may find in your local stores. The only brand of store-bought sugar-free bbq sauce I have tried is by G. Hughes. They offer several different varieties, but I prefer hickory. I might be a little partial, but my homemade BBQ sauce makes this recipe taste much more authentic and flavorful.
More Keto Friendly Recipes
I know you are going to absolutely love my keto Monterey chicken recipe. To plan the rest of your menu, make sure to take advantage of all the great options in my Keto/Low Carb recipe index. Side dishes that pair perfectly are Southern Green Beans, roasted asparagus, or steamed broccoli.
- Easy Keto Fried Chicken Recipe
- Keto Best Queso Recipe
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Recipe
Keto Monterey Chicken
- In a hot oven-safe skillet, add olive oil and butter.(I use this skillet)
- Season chicken generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Sear chicken on each side for about 4 minutes each on medium/high, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Spoon BBQ sauce on top of each chicken breast.
- Divide the cooked bacon evenly and place on top of each chicken breast.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of bacon.
- Finish off the chicken with Monterey Jack Cheese and sprinkle parsley on top.
- Turn oven to broil and place skillet in the oven on top rack.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. (make sure skillet is oven safe)