Taco Chaffle Recipe: Crispy, Not Eggy, and Delicious!
Taco salads are one of our very favorite easy family meals. All four kids love tacos. They can enjoy theirs on tortillas, while the hubs and I eat taco salads or sometimes keto taco cups. I’ve tried making taco shells just out of cheese, and even though I love the crunch, they are always a bit greasy.
Then, enter all the Keto Chaffle craziness that has set the keto world on fire lately. As I was cooking dinner last night, I knew that I could create a Chaffle Taco Shell easily. While there are many chaffle recipes online, I knew that this one needed to be extremely crispy and not eggy at all or it would never pass as a taco shell.
My oldest daughter and I started experimenting and came up with the absolute perfect and crispy taco shell chaffle. It was so good; I had to make more because we loved it so much. I’ve included all the info you need below in case you aren’t quite up to date on this chaffle crazy.
So, What in the World is a Chaffle?
I know. It has been quite a week in the keto community. If you went on vacation or haven’t spent any time in Facebook groups, you might have missed out on the chaffle craze. A Chaffle is a waffle made on a Dash Mini Waffle Maker with eggs and cheese. Since that recipe came out, there have been countless variations posted, and some don’t even have any cheese as an ingredient. This recipe for Keto Taco Chaffles is a variation of the original recipe that I tested until I got a perfect crispy taco shell chaffle. Make sure to check out this list of Ultimate Tips for Best Keto Chaffle Recipes.
What Do I Use to Make a Keto Taco Chaffle?
The Dash Mini Waffle Maker is the one kitchen appliance that the keto world has been on a mission to find. This mini waffle maker makes one four-inch waffle. While you could use a regular waffle maker, there is something about this mini one that gets Chaffles nice and crispy. Perhaps it is because the grates are smaller and closer together or the fact that it gets so hot, but either way, there is no doubt that if you follow the Keto Diet, you are going to see hundreds of recipes for this product.
For those who might feel that making one chaffle at a time is too fussy, this waffle maker is a great option. It makes four 3 inch waffles at once. Since it makes smaller Chaffles, you’d need to use a little bit less batter, but it could be a huge timesaver if you are making several Keto Chaffle taco shells at once.
Where Can I Find the Dash Mini Waffle Maker?
If you don’t want to run around town on a scavenger hunt looking for a waffle maker in stores, you can place an order on Amazon. The fact that Amazon delivers without me having to drag all my kids around town means that it is always my first choice. If you want to pick one up without ordering check Bed Bath & Beyond, TJ Maxx, Kohl’s, Walmart, or Target.
First, I started by throwing all the ingredients in a small bowl. I used a combination of thicker shredded cheese for Taco Chaffles.
Lightly grease the Dash Mini Waffle Maker. Then, I spooned out half of the chaffle batter onto the waffle iron. This chaffle taco recipe makes two chaffles. You can easily double or triple the recipe to make more at one time.
Once you pour the batter on the waffle maker, close the lid and do not touch for 4 minutes. I tried to check mine halfway through cooking and almost threw it away as it looked as if it wasn’t going to set up properly. It needs the full four minutes to get a nice golden brown color and to crisp properly.
As soon as the Taco Chaffle shells were done, I turned over a muffin pan and folded them in half between two tins. As they cooled, they stayed in the shape of a taco shell.
Are these Chaffle Taco Shells Crispy?
Yes! They are super crispy. They aren’t eggy at all either. This Taco Chaffle recipe makes amazingly crunchy taco shells that aren’t greasy at all.
For the delicious ground beef taco meat, I suggest using my oldest daughter’s recipe for the Very Best Taco Meat with my homemade keto-friendly taco seasoning. This recipe is the best taco meat I’ve ever eaten. It has so much incredible bold flavor. I always double the recipe so we can enjoy it for lunch for several days or freeze for later. If you prefer chicken, this crockpot recipe for Low Carb Mexican Shredded Chicken would be fantastic as well.
Holy smokes, the Taco Chaffle Recipe was delicious!! It made a perfect low carb crispy taco shell that we’ve all been missing.
Toppings for Taco Chaffles
There are so many keto low carb friendly options for topping Keto Taco Chaffles. I’ve included those I could think of below:
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- diced onions
- diced tomatoes
Can I Make This Easy Keto Recipe Ahead of Time?
You could certainly make the Keto Chaffle Taco Shells ahead of time as well as the taco meat. But, I would suggest not rewarming the taco shells in the microwave as they would lose their crispness. Instead, I wrap in aluminum foil and rewarm in the oven or pop them in the air fryer.
More Keto Chaffle Recipes:
- Highly Popular Traditional Keto Chaffle Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Chaffle Keto Recipe
- Pizza Chaffle Keto Recipe
- Keto Pumpkin Keto Waffle Recipe (Chaffle)
- Blueberry Keto Chaffle
- Keto Chaffle Breakfast Sandwich with almond flour
- Mini Keto Pizza with Chaffle Pizza Crust (almond flour)
- Strawberry Shortcake Chaffle Recipe
- Keto Chaffle Taco Shells Recipe with almond flour
How to Make Taco Chaffle Recipe:
Keto Taco Chaffle Recipe (Crispy Taco Shells)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded (packed tightly)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (packed tightly)
- 3/4 tsp water
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- pinch of salt
- Plug the Dash Mini Waffle Maker in the wall and grease lightly once it is hot.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon out 1/2 of the batter on the waffle maker and close lid. Set a timer for 4 minutes and do not lift the lid until the cooking time is complete. If you do, it will look like the taco chaffle shell isn't setting up properly, but it will. You have to let it cook the entire 4 minutes before lifting the lid.
- Remove the taco chaffle shell from the waffle iron and set aside. Repeat the same steps above with the rest of the chaffle batter.
- Turn over a muffin pan and set the taco chaffle shells between the cups to form a taco shell. Allow to set for a few minutes.
- Remove and serve with the Very Best Taco Meat or your favorite recipe.
- Enjoy this delicious keto crispy taco chaffle shell with your favorite toppings.