This recipe is The Very Best Keto Taco Meat, whether you’re following a keto diet or not! It is simple to make, full of delicious taco seasonings and loaded with peppers, onions, and tomatoes!
How to make keto taco meat
One of our very favorite meals to make is tacos. The kids eat tortillas while my hubby and I eat taco meat on a bed of lettuce or a baked cheese tortilla shell. Taco meat is so versatile and can be used in so many delicious keto recipes. I love to make a large batch of taco meat at once when I meal prep so I can have it ready to go for quick weeknight dinners.
Taco meat ingredients:
- Ground beef: This is the most flavorful. I try to get an 80/20, which makes this taco meat super juicy. You can use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer.
- Peppers, onions, and garlic: Veggies add some carbs, which I’m okay with since they add lots of flavor and nutrients! They are also spread over many servings.
- Rotel and beef broth: Rotel is a flavorful combination of tomatoes, green chilies, and some other spices. This, along with the beef broth, is the perfect addition to making our taco meat juicy and flavorful!
- Taco seasoning: Taco seasoning is what makes your meat perfect for Mexican meals. You can use the store-bought version or make my homemade keto taco seasoning, which is low carb and contains no additives or MSG.
Steps to make the BEST keto taco meat:
Step 1: Heat butter in a skillet and saute your green peppers, onions, and garlic until soft. Remove from pan.
Step 2: Add your ground beef to the same skillet and brown. Drain excess grease. Add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes until the taco meat thickens.
Step 3: Once your taco meat is thick, it’s ready! Add salt and pepper if needed.
Is taco seasoning keto-friendly?
It CAN be keto-friendly; however, some store-bought taco seasonings are not. Some may contain sugar, starch, or even MSG. So if you are looking for a strict keto taco seasoning, make sure to look at your labels before you add one to your cart! Another option is to make my homemade taco seasoning. Making your own seasoning will ensure you are using ingredients without any additives that you might not want.
Can this recipe be made in the slow cooker?
Sure! In the last hour of cooking, remove the lid so that the taco meat can cook down. It may not reduce as much in a slow cooker, so you might need to serve with a slotted spoon.
How to serve your keto taco meat
There are quite a few different ways you can serve your taco meat while keeping dinner keto-approved. (If you have kids or family members who are NOT following a keto diet, you can simply give them traditional taco shells, either hard or soft, to eat like a normal taco!)
However, if you ARE following a low carb diet, here are a few ways you can serve your taco meat as well as more Mexican Keto recipe ideas. You can still eat low carb and enjoy Taco Tuesday!
- On a chaffle! I bet you won’t miss taco shells if you serve your taco meat on these crispy Taco Chaffles! If you don’t have a waffle maker, a cheese taco shell is a great alternative. Both make a delicious keto-friendly taco.
- Over a bed of lettuce! A super low carb option is to simply make a Keto Taco Salad. It is served with a deliciously creamy dressing!
- As a taco lettuce wrap! I suggest using Romaine or Bibb lettuce as your wraps. A burrito bowl is always a win, too.
- Use the taco meat in a keto taco casserole. This is very hearty but is more ‘dirty keto’ having layers of low carb soft tortillas in between the layers of taco meat.
- In a soup! This Queso Keto Taco Soup is creamy is full of taco flavor!
- In these Low Carb Taco Cups with your meat served in fun low carb taco cups!
- On a pizza! This Low Carb Taco Keto Pizza recipe is delicious!
How many net carbs?
Based on six equal-sized servings, this low carb taco meat is only 3g net carbs, and it has tons of incredible flavor.
Other keto ground beef recipes:
Don’t miss out!
If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources. Amazon has several great books you may want to check out here.
The Very Best Taco Meat Recipe:
The Very Best Taco Meat
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ green pepper sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp of homemade taco seasoning or a packet of taco seasoning
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 1 can of Rotel
- Heat butter in a skillet and saute green peppers for 3 minutes then add onions. Saute until they reach desired tenderness then remove from pan.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet then drain grease.
- Add peppers and onions back to the pan, along with all other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then simmer covered for about 15 minutes until taco meat mixture thickens.
- Enjoy over a bed of lettuce or on a keto chaffle!