As the weather is cooling down here in Tennessee, I’ve been craving soup. I love that soup is generally a one pot meal, and I typically make enough so that I have enough for leftovers for lunch the next couple of days. As I’ve been seeing recipes for soup all over Pinterest, I pinned several that caught my eye so that I could tweak the recipe to make it keto/low carb friendly. When I saw Jalapeno Popper Soup, I knew it was something my family would enjoy as my hubby and kiddos love all things hot and spicy. I wasn’t sure if I would like it because I am a total whip when the spice gets turned up. However, the great thing about the Keto/Low Carb Jalapeno Soup is that you can turn up the heat as much as you want and vice versa.
I made it today in my Instant Pot, but I’ve also included directions to make it in a Crock Pot. Either way it is such a rich hearty filling soup you’ll want to add to your regular dinner rotation. Plus, doesn’t it look extra appealing with all the delicious toppings? Plus, can we just note that it has bacon in it. Isn’t everything better with bacon? I certainly think so.
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- ½ lb of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
- ¾ cup Cheddar Cheese
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and add butter, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and seasoning.
- Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add cream cheese, broth, and cubed chicken. (I cut my chicken in big cubes.)
- Set Instant Pot to cook on manual for 15 minutes. It will take several minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure then it will begin to count backwards.
- When it is finished with the cycle, allow a 5 minute natural release.
- When the 5 minutes is complete, release steam. I always cover valve with a towel while the steam is releasing.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute.
- Remove chicken and using two forks shred in big chunks then return chicken to Instant Pot.
- Add heavy whipping cream, cheeses, and cooked bacon stirring until the cheeses melt.
- Sprinkle xanthan gum on top to thicken soup and turn Instant Pot to warm.
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes so that the soup can thicken.
- Optional: Serve with grated Monterrey Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, jalapenos and cooked bacon sprinkled on top.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and seasoning until onions are translucent.
- Spoon mixture into Crock Pot then add chicken breasts and chicken broth.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred and then return chicken to the Crock Pot
- Add cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, cheeses, and cooked bacon stirring until the cheeses melt.
- Sprinkle xanthan gum on top to thicken soup and allow to simmer on low with the lid off for 10 minutes so that the soup thickens.
- Optional: Serve with grated Monterrey Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, jalapenos and bacon sprinkled on top.
Nutritional Information provided by MyFitnessPal app based on 8 servings – 571 Calories, 40.1g fat, 41.2g protein, 3.5g Carbs – 1.4g Fiber = 2.1 Net Carbs per serving
Other Keto/Low Carb Soup Recipes:
Check out all of my Keto/Low Carb Recipes in my Keto Recipe Index: