This Mouthwatering Keto Chili recipe is full of incredible bold flavor. Hearty, filling, and delicious, it is the perfect low-carb meal that everyone will love, and it’s easy to make.
Keto Chili: Easy, Delicious, & Low Carb
Before the weather cools down after a hot summer, I always begin to look forward to fall being around the corner. I love everything about fall, including cozy bonfires, leaves changing colors, cooler weather, and fall foods, like chili and all things pumpkin. Fall always signals college football season, which makes my hubby and kiddos very happy as Ohio State Fans. Of course, I had to come up with a keto chili recipe that everyone would love.
Is Chili Keto?
Unless you are from Texas and already eat chili without beans, most traditional chili recipes aren’t keto-friendly due to the high carb content of beans. But, like many recipes, it can be tweaked to make a low-carb chili that is mouthwateringly delicious. This keto chili recipe has no beans, so it is a perfect dish for my family to eat while watching my hubby’s beloved Buckeyes play football on Saturdays. It’s thick and delicious! You can also check out my Keto White Chicken Chili recipe.
Since my kids don’t follow a strict keto diet, I often cook beans in a separate pot on the stove. Then, when the low-carb chili is done, I can add a spoonful or two of beans to my kids’ chili.
Are Kidney Beans Keto?
As I mentioned, bean chili is loaded with carbs. A half-cup of canned dark kidney beans contains 24 carbs per serving with 5 grams of fiber, making them 19g of net carbs per serving. Half a cup of kidney beans would take up almost an entire day’s allotment of carbs for those following a keto lifestyle. Also, kidney beans are legumes, which some people avoid on the keto diet.
What Beans Are Keto Friendly?
Most people eating keto avoid beans because of their abundant starch and carb content. However, the exception is green beans at only 2g of net carbs per half-cup. Some people add green beans to their chili to add a little bulk to it to remind them of beans.
Are Tomatoes Allowed on the Keto Diet?
While tomatoes contain natural sugar, they are relatively low in carbs and high in fiber. They can be enjoyed in moderation on a low-carb diet. Keep in mind, the carbs in the tomatoes are spread over many servings in this recipe.
In this recipe, I used diced tomatoes with green chilis (or Rotel) and crushed tomatoes. If you don’t enjoy chunks of tomatoes, you can toss a can of whole tomatoes in a blender or substitute tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes instead.
Simply brown the ground beef, green peppers, onions, and garlic together first.
As I have mentioned before, I always brown my ground beef ahead of time, which makes cooking meals like keto chili so much easier. You can find this and other time-saving tips in 5 Easy Keto Meal Prep Ideas. If you use ground beef that is already browned, you’ll want to saute the green peppers, onions, and garlic in a little olive oil first before adding the browned ground beef to the pot.
Don’t be afraid to use spices in this easy keto chili! Do you want to know the secret ingredient to make this chili rich and bold? It’s curry powder. I don’t typically like curry powder, but you can’t taste it in this recipe as it only enhances the other spices and makes them more flavorful.
This chili recipe is so thick and hearty. If you prefer a chili that is not quite as thick, simply add more beef broth until it reaches the desired thickness. I typically like mine a little thinner, while my hubby prefers his nice and thick.
How to Thicken Easy Keto Chili?
The best way to thicken this keto chili is to bring it to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer it with the lid off. As it simmers, the liquid begins to evaporate, which thickens the chili. Make sure you stir it occasionally. Simple, right?
How Many Carbs Are in a Bowl of Chili?
This recipe makes eight servings, and there are seven net carbs per serving. No guilt here! I did not measure for an exact serving size. Instead, I divided the low-carb chili evenly.
If you’re looking for a great meal, do yourself a favor and make this quick and easy low carb, keto chili. It is amazing…savory, filling, and so delicious! Best of all, it’s easy to make. When I have an evening commitment, this is one of my hubby’s go-to’s for dinner because it’s so easy to fix, and the kids love it.
What to Eat with it?
What could be more perfect with a delicious bowl of chili than a chaffle? I also have made my keto cheese crackers, and they paired perfectly. We typically keep it simple and make a salad to go with it as this low-carb chili recipe is so hearty.
How to Store Chili?
I love to make twice as much as the recipe calls for as it makes for an easy lunch the next day. Chili should last for three to four days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can also freeze the cooked chili in freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags for up to six months. If you freeze the chili in individual containers, you can pull one out whenever you are in the mood for a delicious bowl of home-cooked keto chili.
Variations to this recipe:
- Crock-Pot Option: Most of the time, I make my chili on the stovetop but, if you prefer, you can also use a slow cooker. Simply add your browned beef and other ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. You may want to reduce the amount of beef broth as it won’t cook down in the crockpot like it would on the stove.
- Bring on the Heat: If you like your chili hot, you can always add jalapeños, hot sauce, crushed red peppers, or more chili powder to this chili keto recipe.
- Instant Pot Keto Chili Version: If you love cooking in the Instant Pot, check out this Instant Pot Keto Chili Recipe.
Topping Ideas for Low Carb Chili:
- Sour cream
- Freshly Grated Cheese
- Sliced avocados
- Hot Sauce
More Keto Soup Recipes:
- Keto Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- Keto Queso Taco Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Soup
- Cauliflower Soup with Bacon & Cheese
More Keto Ground Beef Recipes:
- Quick & Easy Low Carb Chili Casserole
- Easy Keto Ground Beef Casserole
- Low Carb Ground Beef Recipe: Italian Keto Beef Skillet
- Keto Ground Beef Stir-Fry
- 20 Delicious Keto Beef Recipes
Delicious & Hearty Keto Low Carb Chili
- 2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 tablespoon cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 28 oz beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce optional
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped optional
- 3 tbsp butter optional
- Brown ground beef, onions, green peppers (optional) and minced garlic together in a large saucepan.
- Drain (if desired) then return to saucepan.
- Add all other ingredients to the ground beef mixture and bring to a boil. If you decide to add the optional butter you would add it now. It will add a little extra fat and flavor to the chili.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until chili reaches desired thickness.
- Top each bowl with sour cream, grated cheese, jalapenos if desired.