Last night was the first Ohio State Football game of the season. My husband is originally from Ohio, so he is a huge Ohio State fan, and our kids have followed suit. Although I’ve tried to like football, I really just look forward to fall foods, like chili, and the cool fall weather that comes along with the college football season. After my hubby and kids requested chili for dinner last night, I decided it was time to make a keto/low carb version since we would likely be eating chili while watching football all season. Yes, my family loves chili that much. I always brown my ground beef ahead of time, which makes cooking dinner so much easier. It took me less than 10 minutes to get all the ingredients together. Afterward, I simmered on low for about 2 hours so that the chili could thicken. It turned out so good! If you like your chili hot, I would suggest adding crushed red peppers, jalapenos, and hot sauce. Since I’m feeding a two-year-old as well, my hubby and kids add those ingredients separately. Do you want to know the secret ingredient to make your chili rich and bold? It’s curry powder. I learned this little trick from a friend and am now passing along to you.
If you love cooking in the Instant Pot, check out this Instant Pot Keto Chili Recipe.
Keto / Low Carb Chili
- 2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 tablespoon cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce optional
- Brown ground beef, onions, and minced garlic together in a large saucepan.
- Drain (if desired) then return to saucepan.
- Add all other ingredients to the ground beef mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 2 hours or until chili is thickened.
- Top each bowl with sour cream, grated cheese, jalapenos if desired.
Nutritional Information according to MYFITNESSPAL app based on 9 servings -299 calories, 20.2g fat, 18.4g protein, 9.4g carbs – 2g fiber = 7.4 Net Carbs