If you want a great meal that the kids will love, look no further than our Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas! These are so easy to make and absolutely delicious. A perfect addition to your meal plan.
Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas
We love chicken fajitas. Since we started following a keto lifestyle, whenever we eat out at a Mexican Restaurant my hubby and I order fajitas and eat them over a bed of lettuce. It’s been such an easy transition for us not to eat the tortillas.
I thought it would be a perfect night for homemade baked chicken fajitas. Then, I remembered how good it tasted when I added a little bit of our kids’ cheese dip to my fajitas. I knew if I could create a keto friendly best queso recipe to serve with our fajitas at home our kids would be in hog heaven! I can assure you that the homemade queso with baked chicken fajitas did not disappoint! Oh, my stars! I felt like we were eating at our favorite Mexican Restaurant tonight without the hassle of getting all four kids out.
You could use a packaged taco or fajita seasoning but I love this homemade seasoning mix that I’ve been using to make fajitas. They would be even better if you marinated the chicken in the seasoning overnight. Packaged seasoning mixes contain additives that many avoid while following a keto or low carb diet.
I prefer to use a variety of bell peppers to add color and different tastes. I tend to slice mine a little thinner because I don’t love bell peppers unless they are cooked through until tender.
You could add all the ingredients to a sheet pan, then pour on the seasoning mix, but I find that it coats the chicken and veggies more evenly if I mix everything in a large bowl first.
I used to cook the Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas in a casserole dish, but have found that they cook better on a cookie sheet. You could cover the cookie sheet with parchment paper to make clean up easier.
If you really want to turn up your Low Carb Baked Chicken Fajitas a notch, make this homemade Keto Queso. We often serve these sheet pan fajitas on a bed of lettuce with keto queso poured right on top.
We served our Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas on a bed of lettuce and garnished it with fresh tomatoes and jalapenos. Then, as I mentioned, we poured a little keto friendly best queso on top. These fajitas taste fantastic leftover as well.
How to Make Keto Chicken Baked Fajitas:
Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 3/4 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice chicken and veggies into strips.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil and spices. Mix well.
- Add the chicken and veggies to the seasoning mixture and stir until coated.
- Pour the fajita mixture onto a greased sheet pan and spread out into a single layer. Depending on the size of your sheet pan, you may need to divide into two sheet pans. It will look like a ton of veggies, but they will shrink as they cook.
- Bake for 11 minutes and stir then return to the oven and bake 11 additional minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Due to the size of my baking pans and my oven, I placed one of the sheet pans on the bottom rack and the other on the middle rack. Halfway through cooking I switched them. Make sure to check the temperature of the chicken for doneness as all ovens cook differently. It should read 165 in the thickest piece of the chicken. If you'd like to brown your chicken fajitas, turn the oven to broil and bake for just a minute or two. Make sure to watch closely as it can burn very quickly when using the broiler.
- Remove from oven and top with lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Serve on a bed of mixed leafy greens and top with homemade Keto Queso Dip and your favorite keto friendly condiments such as sour cream, guacamole, sliced avocado, jalapenos, and a few tomatoes.
Serving Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas
Once the fajitas are ready you can serve two different ways. Either keep the queso and fajitas separate, or pour the cheesy goodness right on top and serve as is or on a bed of lettuce. We decided to dive straight in and pour the homemade queso dip right on top. You can serve with lettuce or low carb tortillas. You can also serve over cauliflower rice for a fun different way to enjoy the meal.
More Keto Recipes
Make sure to check out all of my Keto Recipes in my Keto Recipe Index. As a mom of four, I’m always trying to easy family friendly meals. There are tons of great ideas for meals that everyone will love. Below are some of our family favorites!
- Cheesy Mexican Chicken Skillet
- Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole