This Keto Fried Cabbage with Bacon is the perfect side dish or can stand alone as a meal. It’s versatile in flavor and perfect for a low-carb diet!
KETO FRIED CABBAGE WITH BACON RECIPE
I don’t know why cabbage tends to get such a bad rap. In our house, we love it because it goes with various meals.
While cabbage is excellent on its own, the fact that this recipe adds bacon takes it over the top. (C’mon…who doesn’t love bacon?) The bacon adds that saltiness that pairs perfectly with the cabbage, and once fried together…it’s a real treat for your taste buds.
- Bacon – This is keto – of course, you need bacon! You can use it sliced as thinly or thickly as you prefer.
- Bacon Grease – You’ll get this when you cook the bacon. It’s necessary to use to saute the onion and other ingredients. It is loaded with fat and that flavor we all love.
- Chicken Broth – You can buy chicken broth or make it yourself. I usually buy mine. It’s faster than making it, and I always have it on hand. Just read the ingredient list to ensure there are no additives or hidden sugars.
- Cabbage – A delicious coniferous veggie full of health benefits that taste fantastic fried.
- Onion – Adds additional texture and flavor to the fried cabbage and a hint of sweetness.
- Seasonings – Any garlic powder will work. Just be sure you use garlic powder and not garlic salt.
Steps to making Fried Cabbage with Bacon
(scroll down to the bottom of the page for the full recipe and ingredients with a printable recipe card.)
Step 1: Place the six strips of bacon in a skillet and fry until they are all fully cooked. Remove the bacon slices and set them aside. Leave three tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet.
Step 2: Add the chopped onion to the bacon grease and saute them until they are translucent.
Step 3: Add the cabbage, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the onion in the skillet. Bring it to boil over medium heat. After it begins to boil, cover the skillet with a lid. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
Step 4: Simmer the cabbage for about 20 minutes or until it reaches your preferred tenderness. If you like it crunchy, it won’t take as long. Cook it longer if you want it limp and tender.
Step 5: Once the cabbage is done, remove it from the pan and put it in a serving bowl. Take the cooked bacon slices and crumble them over the top. Serve warm!
Tip: If the cabbage doesn’t fit in the pan all at once, it’s okay to add it in smaller batches. Add some in, and as it wilts down, there will be more room to add more.
Tip: This keto-fried cabbage can be conveniently prepped ahead of time. The bacon can be fried and stored in the fridge. The onions and cabbage can be chopped and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to prepare the dish.
IS CABBAGE KETO-FRIENDLY
Besides being filled with tons of health benefits, one cup of shredded cabbage is only 5.4g of net carbs.
IS CABBAGE FRIED IN BACON GREASE HEALTHY
The keto diet is based on eating fats as your primary energy source; therefore, fried cabbage in bacon grease is perfectly healthy.
HOW TO CUT CABBAGE FOR KETO FRIED CABBAGE WITH BACON
Cutting the cabbage to cook evenly is essential. First, rinse and remove the loose leaves. I typically remove several layers; then, I rinse again.
Next, place the stem end flat on a cutting board and cut the cabbage in half. Once done, cut it in half, again and again, to help make the cutting and chopping a bit easier. Proceed in removing the white core.
Take each quarter of the cabbage and slice it into thin strips. Then, go back and cut the strips into smaller pieces until you have chopped the entire cabbage.
Tip: For a detailed tutorial, check out how to cut cabbage from Culinary Hill.
DON’T OVERCOOK THE CABBAGE
Make sure to remove the cabbage from the heat as soon as it becomes tender. If it is overcooked, it will be limp and mushy. It also has a different smell when it has been overcooked. If you remove it from the stove before it is too tender, it will have a good consistency. It will be better if it’s heated up as leftovers too.
CAN I USE FRESH GARLIC INSTEAD OF GARLIC POWDER?
Yes. Having garlic powder on hand is a matter of convenience. If you want to add fresh garlic, chop it finely or crush it. Add it to the sauteed onions right before they are done.
CAN THIS BE MADE AS A VEGETARIAN DISH?
Keto-fried cabbage can be made vegetarian easily. Just leave the bacon and use avocado oil or olive oil instead of bacon grease.
HOW TO STORE KETO FRIED CABBAGE WITH BACON
If you happen to have any leftovers, it’s important to store this low-carb cabbage with bacon properly so that it’s good to eat the next day. If you keep it in the fridge, store it in a shallow airtight container for 3-4 days. Store in a covered airtight container or freezer bag for up to 6 months for freezing storing. Once ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator for best results.
ADD YOUR FAVORITE FLAVORS
This dish is very versatile. You can flavor it with some of your favorite spices, such as:
- Curry powder
- Dried herbs
- Onion powder
Are you looking for other low-carb side dishes?
WHAT ARE SOME MAIN DISHES TO GO WITH THIS RECIPE
With cabbage being so versatile, the sky is the limit on what you can pair up with this delicious dish. I recommend a simple Keto Pot Roast or Parmesan Crusted Keto Pork Chops. If you want to keep the meal more casual, this fried cabbage would taste amazing with a delicious Butter Burger.
MORE GREAT KETO RECIPES WITH CABBAGE
Don’t forget to check out all my recipes in my Keto Recipe Index. Here are some other great ket0-friendly recipes you might enjoy!
- Keto Unstuffed Cabbage Skillet
- Best Keto/Low Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
- Easy Low Carb Smoked Sausage & Cabbage
- Easy Marinated Keto Cole Slaw (no mayo)
How to make Keto Fried Cabbage with Bacon
Keto Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place your bacon in a skillet and fry until cooked. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside, leaving 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.
- Take your onion and saute in the bacon grease.
- Next, add the cabbage, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the skillet and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer cabbage for 20 minutes or until it reaches desired tenderness.
- Once done, remove from pan. Crumble the cooked slices of bacon on top and serve.