This Easy Chaffle with Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe is a twist on the southern favorite sausage gravy and biscuits. Instead, this recipe features the popular chaffle recipe with a rich, delicious, and creamy low carb gravy.
Easy Chaffle with Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe
I’ve had many people ask for a keto sausage gravy recipe, and I finally decided to give it a go. I’ve been creating chaffle recipes left and right for the past few weeks and thought a chaffle with a creamy and delicious low carb gravy recipe would be a delicious and easy breakfast idea. It took me a couple of times to get the gravy just right. I wanted to make a keto sausage gravy without xanthan gum to avoid specialty ingredients. I had my hubby, and big kids jump in to taste test several times before settling on the perfect keto sausage gravy recipe to enjoy with chaffles.
What is a Chaffle?
I’ve been asked many times if I had a keto sausage gravy recipe for my keto biscuits, but then the chaffle came along, and all other low carb breads were forgotten. Chaffles made a sudden appearance in the keto world a couple of weeks ago, and since then they have gone viral. The most simple chaffle recipe that started all the excitement is a mixture of eggs and cheese made into a cheese waffle. As the chaffle has skyrocketed in popularity, in Keto Facebook groups, every possible variation of that recipe imaginable has emerged including both savory and sweet chaffle keto recipes.
Variations to this Chaffle Recipe:
- You can substitute 1 TB of almond flour for 1 tsp of coconut flour
- Switch up the cheeses to include other varieties
- Add seasonings such as Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, sage, or another seasoning you enjoy
- Turn up the heat with red pepper flakes, tabasco, or cayenne pepper
Is Gravy High in Carbs?
Traditional gravy is higher in carbs since it uses white flour as a thickening agent, but this recipe for Easy Chaffles and Keto Sausage Gravy has no flour.
What is Keto Sausage Gravy?
Keto Sausage Gravy is simply a low carb version of a southern staple to enjoy with a chaffle. The nutritional information with a macro breakdown is provided at the bottom of the recipe card for a serving of easy chaffles and keto sausage gravy recipe.
Also, since it does not use flour, this recipe is gluten-free. I always suggest looking at the labels of the ingredients you use in your kitchen to double-check. As a mom of a child with severe food allergies, sometimes I’ve been shocked, reading labels on foods that I thought were safe.
For this recipe, I used only 1/4 cup of cooked breakfast sausage. We made the rest of the roll of sausage into sausage patties to enjoy for breakfast later.
Ingredients in this easy keto gravy recipe include:
- Breakfast sausage
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- chicken broth
- spices such as garlic powder & onion powder (salt & pepper optional)
**I enjoy a lot of pepper in my keto sausage gravy
How to Thicken Keto Sausage Gravy for Chaffles?
Instead of using flour as in a traditional sausage gravy recipe, cream cheese and heavy whipping cream help thicken this low carb version. It will also continue to thicken as it cools. If you’d like for it to be super thick, you can add a little xanthan gum, but I wanted to keep it simple and make a keto sausage gravy without xanthan gum.
What Do I Need to Make this Easy Chaffle Recipe?
Dash mini waffle makers are the name of the game when it comes to chaffles. Small, affordable, and easy to store they are a fantastic investment to make keto chaffles. Since the grates are closer together and it gets super hot, I think it makes chaffles crispier than a traditional waffle maker. Chaffle recipes you find online are sized for the Dash mini maker, but you can use a regular waffle maker. Make sure to adjust the
Chaffle recipes generally make four-inch chaffles. Many of the recipes I have seen make two at a time, which can serve one or two people depending on your hunger level.
Since I have a big family, I am thinking about investing in this waffle maker as it makes four 3 inch waffles at a time. The batter used for each would need to be adjusted a bit, but being able to make four at once would be a time-saver for me, and I’m okay with the smaller serving size.
Where Can I buy the Dash Mini Waffle Maker?
I am a fan of Amazon Prime because I can order from the comfort of my home and have it delivered to my front door in two days. I did happen to find my Dash Mini Waffle Maker at TJMaxx months ago but haven’t seen any since. You can find it at other stores such as Target, Kohl’s, Belk, Sam’s Club, etc.
For those who might miss their favorite biscuits and gravy recipe, this chaffle with keto sausage gravy is a fantastic alternative. Of course, I’ll never say that it is just like the real thing, but it is a great substitution for those looking for delicious low carb breakfast ideas.
What to Serve with Keto Chaffle with Sausage Gravy?
While I feel like this recipe is a meal in itself, you could serve it with a few fresh berries, scrambled eggs, sliced avocados, bacon, etc.
More Keto Chaffle Recipes:
- Highly Popular Traditional Keto Chaffle Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Chaffle Keto Recipe
- Pizza Chaffle Keto Recipe
- Maple Pumpkin Keto Waffle Recipe (Chaffle)
- Keto Taco Chaffle Recipe with coconut flour
- Blueberry Keto Chaffle
- Keto Chaffle Breakfast Sandwich with almond flour
- Mini Keto Pizza with Chaffle Pizza Crust (almond flour)
- Strawberry Shortcake Chaffle Recipe
- Keto Chaffle Taco Shells Recipe with almond flour
How to Make Chaffles with Keto Sausage Gravy:
Easy Chaffle with Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe
For the Chaffle:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the Keto Sausage Gravy:
- 1/4 cup breakfast sausage, browned
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp cream cheese, softened
- dash garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- dash of onion powder (optional)
- Plug Dash Mini Waffle Maker into the wall and allow to heat up. Grease lightly or use cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients for the chaffle into a small bowl and stir to combine well.
- Pour half of the chaffle batter onto the waffle maker, then shut the lid and cook for approx 4 minutes.
- Remove chaffle from waffle maker and repeat the same process to make the second chaffle. Set aside to crisp.
For the Keto Sausage Gravy
- Cook one pound of breakfast sausage and drain. Reserve 1/4 cup for this recipe.Tip: Make sausage patties out of the rest of the sausage and reserve 1/4 a cup to brown for this recipe. If you aren't familiar with breakfast sausage, it is crumbled like ground beef.
- Wipe excess grease from the skillet and add 1/4 cup browned breakfast sausage and the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook down with the lid off so that it begins to thicken for approx 5-7 minutes. If you'd like it very thick, you can add a bit of Xanthan Gum, but if you are patient with it simmering the keto sausage gravy will thicken. Then, it will thicken even more as it cools.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and spoon keto sausage gravy over chaffles.