Are you looking for a hearty and satisfying low-carb breakfast that’s easy to make? Look no further than this delicious and Easy Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe! Made with creamy ingredients like heavy whipping cream and cream cheese, then flavored with savory breakfast sausage, this gravy is the perfect way to start your day!
BEST Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe
After receiving numerous requests for a keto-friendly sausage gravy recipe, I finally gave in and decided to whip up a batch. I knew I wanted to create a low-carb gravy that was both creamy and delicious, that would make a quick and filling breakfast. It took some trial and error to perfect, but I’m thrilled with how this keto sausage gravy turned out with just a few simple ingredients. And for those missing a traditional Southern breakfast, fear not – this gravy can also be served over keto biscuits.
I’ve got you covered for those who might miss their favorite biscuits and gravy recipe. Make my delicious low-carb biscuits for mouthwatering Keto Biscuits and Sausage.
Is Gravy High in Carbs?
Traditional gravy is higher in carbs since it uses white flour as a thickening agent, but this recipe for Easy Chaffles and Keto Sausage Gravy has no flour in it, so the carb count is minimal.
What is Keto Sausage Gravy?
It’s simply a low-carb version of a Southern classic. This delicious gravy is made with breakfast sausage, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder (optional).
How many net carbs in Keto Sausage Breakfast Gravy?
This recipe makes two servings. There is 1 gram of net carbs in each serving.
Ingredients for Keto Sausage Gravy:
Breakfast Sausage – This provides the primary source of protein for the gravy and adds a delicious, savory flavor.
Chicken Broth adds moisture to the gravy and helps to thin it out to a desirable consistency.
Heavy Whipping Cream – This provides a rich, creamy base for the gravy and helps to thicken it up.
Cream Cheese – This adds tanginess and creaminess to the gravy.
Garlic Powder adds a subtle garlic flavor to the gravy, enhancing the overall taste.
Pepper – This adds flavor and enhances the other ingredients.
Onion Powder (Optional) – This can add a subtle onion flavor to the gravy.
Is it Gluten-Free?
Since this recipe doesn’t use traditional flour, it’s an excellent option for those who eat gluten-free. However, it’s always important to double-check the ingredients’ labels just to be safe.
As a mom with a child with severe food allergies, I know the importance of carefully reading labels. Sometimes, even foods we think are safe can have hidden sources of gluten, so check the labels of each ingredient you use, as brands may vary.
How to Make Keto Sausage Gravy
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the complete list of ingredients, detailed instructions, and printable recipe card.
Step 1: In a large skillet, brown and drain 1/4 lb of pork sausage. I made sausage patties out of the rest of the sausage to enjoy later.
Step 2: Add chicken broth, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, and spices to the skillet with the breakfast sausage and bring it to a boil.
Step 3: To thicken that delicious gravy, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer away.
Pro-tip: don’t cover it up, as uncovered simmering helps to reduce the liquid faster. Keep an eye on it, as the gravy slowly thickens to perfection. Before you know it, you’ll enjoy a low-carb, keto-friendly sausage gravy perfect for pouring over your chaffles.
How to Thicken Keto Sausage Gravy
This keto sausage gravy recipe uses cream cheese and heavy cream to thicken the gravy instead of coconut flour or almond flour, which can make it grainy. I’ve included two different options below to reduce the gravy.
On the stove: The key to thickening is to simmer on the stove until it reduces. If the gravy is too thin, keep simmering. As the gravy cools, it will naturally continue to thicken even more.
Xanthan Gum: If you like your gravy extra thick, or don’t want to wait for it to reduce on the stove, a small amount of xanthan gum can also be added. Start by sprinkling 1/4 tsp, the gravy will begin to thicken. If it doesn’t thicken right away be patient, as adding too much xanthan gum will make it slimey. With this recipe, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying gravy without compromising your low-carb lifestyle.
What about Keto friendly Biscuits & Gravy?
You can enjoy delicious biscuits and gravy while eating low-carb. This gravy recipe pairs perfectiy with my southern keto biscuit recipe.
- Use high-quality sausage – I prefer spicy breakfast sausage to add extra flavor to the gravy.
- Don’t overcook the sausage – It’s essential to cook it until it’s browned so it doesn’t become dry and tough.
- Room Temperature – Let the cream cheese and heavy cream come to room temperature before adding them to the skillet. This will help them mix smoothly and prevent lumps in the gravy.
- Use a whisk to stir the gravy – Whisking the gravy helps break up any lumps and creates a smooth and creamy texture.
- Simmer Until: The gravy doesn’t reduce and thicken right away. It takes some patience, and it might feel like you’ve been watching grass grow, but it will thicken.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste – You can adjust the salt and pepper to your liking and even add some herbs like thyme or rosemary for extra flavor.
Variations for this low-Carb breakfast Gravy Recipe
Looking to mix things up with this keto sausage gravy recipe? Here are a few ideas:
- Spicy sausage gravy: Swap out the mild breakfast sausage for spicy sausage to add some heat to your gravy.
- Bacon gravy: Use crumbled bacon instead of sausage for a delicious bacon gravy.
Hype up the Seasonings: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for a kick. This is my husband’s favorite way to enjoy this recipe.
How Can I Make It Dairy-Free?
You can make a dairy-free keto sausage gravy with two easy swaps. Use coconut cream instead of heavy whipping cream and dairy-free cream cheese.
What to Serve with Keto Sausage Gravy?
While I feel like either of the above options is a meal, a few fresh berries, scrambled eggs, sliced avocados, and bacon are great delicious low-carb sides.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat Keto Gravy
When storing this keto sausage gravy, I recommend transferring it to an airtight container and storing it in the refrigerator. It should last for up to 3-4 days.
If you want to freeze it, let it cool down completely and transfer it to a freezer-safe container. It will last in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
When you’re ready to reheat the gravy, you can do so in the microwave or stovetop. If using the microwave, heat it in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until it’s heated through. If using the stovetop, heat the gravy in a saucepan over low-medium heat, occasionally stirring until it’s heated through. If the gravy is too thick after reheating, add a splash of heavy cream or water to thin it out to your desired consistency.
More Delicious Keto Breakfast Recipes:
- Keto Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- Mouthwatering Keto French Toast
- Healthy Low-Carb Breakfast Burritos
- Keto Avocado Toast
Quick & Easy Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 1/4 cup breakfast sausage, browned
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp cream cheese, softened
- a dash of garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- a dash of onion powder (optional)
- First, brown some breakfast sausage and set aside 1/4 cup for this recipe. You can use the rest to make sausage patties for later.
- Add the browned sausage, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder (optional), in the same skillet and stir continuously until it boils. Then, reduce the heat to medium and let it cook down with the lid off for about 5-7 minutes. If you like your gravy super thick, add a bit of Xanthan Gum, but be patient, as the gravy will thicken naturally over time.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and spoon the keto sausage gravy over your favorite low-carb bread.