Yesterday was a dreary day around here. It was rainy and all I wanted for dinner was some kind of comfort food. I had attempted a Keto Chicken Pot Pie a couple of weeks ago, but the crust just didn’t turn out like I had hoped. I had spread it out like you would a normal chicken pot pie, but coconut flour is extremely absorbent so it dried out the filling. As a blogger sometimes we create recipes multiple times to get it just right. So, last night was Keto Chicken Pot Pie take two. Instead of spreading out the crust I carefully dolloped it on top by spoonfuls so that it wouldn’t absorb too much of the filling. I only included a half of a cup of mixed veggies due to the carb content, but you could substitute with green beans or asparagus to further reduce the carb content. Nevertheless, we think it turned out yummy! If you don’t want to cook chicken in the slow cooker, you could use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Also, if you have a cast iron skillet you will only have one pan to wash, which is winning for this busy momma. My entire family thought it was delish! My two year old loved her chicken and biscuits and kept asking for more green balls (peas).
I have updated the recipe to include adding Xanthan Gum to thicken the filling mixture now that I have had a chance to test it. A little bit truly goes a long way.
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup mixed veggies (could also substitute green beans or broccoli)
- ¼ small onion, diced
- ¼ tsp pink salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- pinch thyme
- 2½ cups cooked chicken, diced
- ¼ tsp Xanthan Gum
- 4½ tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1⅓ cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella, shredded
- Cook 1 to 1½ lbs chicken in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sautee onion, mixed veggies, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter in an oven safe skillet for approx 5 min or until onions are translucent.
- Add heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, thyme, and rosemary.
- Sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top and simmer for 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. You need a lot of liquid for this recipe, otherwise, it will be dry.
- Add diced chicken.
- Make the breading by combining melted butter (I cool mine by popping the bowl in the fridge for 5 min), eggs, salt, and sour cream in a bowl then whisk together.
- Add coconut flour and baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter by dollops on top of the chicken pot pie. Do not spread it out, as the coconut flour will absorb too much of the liquid.
- Bake in a
400 degreeoven 15-20 min.
- Set oven to broil and move chicken pot pie to top shelf. Broil for 1-2 minutes until bread topping is nicely browned.
Nutritional information according to MyFitnessPal App based on 8 equal sized servings: Calories 297, Fat 17.6, Protein 11.6, Carbs 4.3 – Fiber 1.7 = 2.6 carbs