If you want comfort foods, look no further than this Keto Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Recipe! This will totally wow your family, and will satisfy your cravings. So much flavor and so easy to make!
Keto Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Yesterday was a dreary day around here. It was rainy and all I wanted for dinner was some kind of comfort food. I had attempted a Keto Chicken Pot Pie a couple of weeks ago, but the crust just didn’t turn out as I had hoped. I had spread it out like you would a normal chicken pot pie, but coconut flour is extremely absorbent so it dried out the filling. As a blogger sometimes we create recipes multiple times to get it just right. So, last night was Keto Chicken Pot Pie take two.
Instead of spreading out the crust I carefully dolloped it on top by spoonfuls so that it wouldn’t absorb too much of the filling. I only included a half of a cup of mixed veggies so that it would feel like chicken pot pie; however, you could substitute with green beans or asparagus to further reduce the carb content. Nevertheless, we think it turned out yummy!
Tips for Making Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
If you have time to cook chicken in the slow cooker, you could use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I personally love finishing off this Keto Chicken Pot Pie in a cast iron skillet. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m a southern girl but I think cast iron makes it so much more flavorful. My entire family thought it was delish! My two year old loved her chicken and biscuits and kept asking for more green balls (peas).
If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here.
How to Make the Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
I’ve included several pictures below as a step by step tutorial that might be helpful. Be sure to scroll below the pics for the printable version of the recipe.
I love using my slow cooker or Instant Pot for making the chicken in advance. You can always grab a rotisserie chicken if you prefer. Both are great options for this recipe.
Since I use such a small amount of mixed vegetables in this recipe, the carb count is minimal when spread out over portions. You could always sub in other lower carb vegetables if you prefer.
The rich sauce is what brings the most flavor, and this is super easy to make when loaded with butter and spices.
Forming the crust worked best when I just dropped it onto the top of the other ingredients rather than rolling it out like a more traditional pie crust.
The shredded cheese in this crust adds great flavor, but also allows for that perfect browning you want on the top of your crust.
More Keto Recipes
If you aren’t already following my Easy Keto/Low Carb Recipe Page on Facebook where I post all my new recipes, you can join here and follow me on Pinterest here. For more of our great recipes, check out my Keto Recipe Index. Below are my favorite chicken recipes you’ll love!
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken with Bacon
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken & Broccoli
- Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak
- Cheesy Mexican Chicken Skillet
- Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Low Carb Chicken Casserole
Keto Chicken Pot Pie
For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup mixed veggies could also substitute green beans or broccoli
- 1/4 small onion diced
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- pinch thyme
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
For the crust:
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella shredded
- Cook 1 to 1 1/2 lbs chicken in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sautee onion, mixed veggies, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter in an oven safe skillet for approx 5 min or until onions are translucent.
- Add heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, thyme, and rosemary.
- Sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top and simmer for 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. You need a lot of liquid for this recipe, otherwise, it will be dry.
- Add diced chicken.
- Make the breading by combining melted butter (I cool mine by popping the bowl in the fridge for 5 min), eggs, salt, and sour cream in a bowl then whisk together.
- Add coconut flour and baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter by dollops on top of the chicken pot pie. Do not spread it out, as the coconut flour will absorb too much of the liquid.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 15-20 min.
- Set oven to broil and move chicken pot pie to top shelf. Broil for 1-2 minutes until bread topping is nicely browned. Sprinkle a little dried parsley on top if desired.