Looking for easy ways to eat Keto on a budget? In this post, you’ll find 10 suggestions that don’t take a lot of time that can save big bucks.
10 Easy Ways to Eat Keto on a Budget
- Vitacost is an online health store carrying over 45,000 different products such as healthy foods, vitamins, and supplements at savings up to 50% off retail. There is no membership fee, and free shipping is offered on orders $49 and above. If you’d like to give it a try, click here for $5 off your first order.
- Thrive Market is a membership community that uses the power of direct buyers to give members wholesale prices on healthy products they love. To get started, create a membership account. With your first purchase, you’ll start a 30-day membership trial. From there you can determine how valuable the membership will be to your Keto way of living. Many people find that the savings far outweigh the membership cost, especially on keto and low carb specific food items like sweeteners and sugar-free chocolate.
- Amazon Prime is one of my very favorite ways to shop online. When you’ve got four kids (two of those being three yrs old and younger), you love having things delivered to your front door. It’s super easy to order keto nonperishable items online through Amazon. Since I am an Amazon Prime member, most everything I buy ships for free with 2-day shipping.
- Amazon Subscribe & Save is a fabulous way to stock up on items you regularly use that are set on a shipping schedule so that you never run out. You can choose monthly, bimonthly, or another interval. You don’t have to take the time to reorder, instead, the items that you have added to your subscribe and save list shows up at your doorstep at savings up to 15% off.
3. Buy Meat in Bulk, Subscribe to High-Quality Meat Subscriptions, & Shop Sales
- Buying Meat in bulk can save money. You may be able to find someone local who is selling 1/2 to 1/4 of a cow.
- ButcherBox – ButcherBox is a meat subscription company that distributes high-quality meat; 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised beef, free-range organic chicken, heritage breed pork, and wild-caught Alaskan salmon directly to your door.
- Here is how it works:
- Go here
- You’ll then put in your email address and then choose either custom box, mixed box, beef & chicken, beef & pork, or all-beef
- Choose your subscription plan either the classic box or big box
- You get to choose the cuts of meat you prefer!
- Shopping weekly grocery store sales will save you money. Grocery stores generally offer sales each week on different meats. It’s best to purchase what is on sale each week, and either plan your menu around that particular offering or freeze for later. In the long run, your savings can be significant.
- In addition to the grocery store offering weekly sales on meats, you’ll also find the same for veggies. Shopping for veggies on sale and in season will garner the most savings. Also, in the summer months, I shop at Farmer’s Markets, a local Amish farm, and roadside veggie stands as well.
5. Meal Plan
- I create a very lazy meal plan each week then only buy those items I need. Otherwise, I mindlessly shop at the grocery store and fill my buggy with foods that aren’t necessary. By planning, I buy the produce we need and then am intentional to cook the foods we bought and eat leftovers. You could even go a step further and meal plan around what is on sale that week by using the grocery store circulars to plan your meals.
- As part of the Keto life, you’ll most likely use a lot of butter, cheese, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, salad dressing, etc. By purchasing these items at a wholesale club, you’ll be able to take advantage of bulk pricing. It’s also helpful to keep these items stocked so that your weekly grocery shopping trip is cheaper as you’ll primarily stock up on items that are perishable.
- In my opinion, grocery shopping online is God’s gift to busy moms. I had no idea how wonderful it would be to shop from an app, then sit in my car with the babies while the associate loaded my groceries. Hello? Can it possibly get better? Yes! I also save at least $50 a week on our grocery trip since I’m only purchasing the items we need and am not distracted or tempted visually by all the other items in the store. Also, I’ve gotten at least an hour of my week back, which means a lot to this busy mom. It takes me less than ten minutes to shop online compared to at least an hour, possibly two in store. For $10 off your first online order at Walmart, click here.
- I was surprised to see that from time to time, my local Big Lots Store will carry an array of gluten-free options that are helpful when you are following a Keto Lifestyle such as almond and coconut flour. Since they are closeout items, the prices are significantly lower. Of course, they don’t carry these items in stock all the time, but it’s worthwhile to check if you happen to already be in store.
- It’s always helpful to shop from a keto grocery list when getting started. However, make sure to review any lists that you find carefully before going shopping as it will include all the items that are Keto friendly. Just because it’s keto friendly doesn’t necessarily mean that you will need everything on the list. For example, Xanthan Gum might come in handy one day, but it doesn’t mean you need it initially. Another example is cooking oil. Just because several different kinds are approved, it doesn’t mean you need to stock them all. MCT oil, Coconut Oil, and Olive Oil are sufficient when getting started. Stick to the basics, then buy extras as needed.
- Even though we shop at a discount warehouse to purchase keto foods in bulk and grocery shop online, shopping at ALDI also saves us money on our grocery budget. Typically, we do one big warehouse store purchase every 4-6 weeks. In the meantime, if we run out of any of our Keto bulk items, or if I need to pick up something quick for dinner, we make an ALDI run. Overall, ALDI’s prices are up to 40% off compared to other grocery stores. I love that we can get in and out quick as well.